Non-Sachtler head to Hop Pod?

Focused

Has anyone been able to put a non-sachtler head on a hot pod?

Sachtler recommend using their tripod heads only. From what I can tell the Sachtler bowl shape is more shallow compared to other heads so a shorter screw is needed to set a different head correctly. I tried swapping a Sachtler screw into different heads but the length/or bowl shape was too long to allow it to fit snugly.

I have seen pictures of a Cartoni and a Manfrotto 509 on a hot pod. Not sure is they cut the screws themselves of is there was a part you could buy. I don't want to mess up the threading in the tripod.

Any ideas?

Necktie Boy

I was looking at my O'Connor head. The big screw is machined. If you did cut it down, you might have to have threads cut into it. If you did that, you may not be able to use on a regular bowl.

If the big screw is slide off, maybe find or have a machine shop make a aluminum spacer to take up the slack. That might be the cheapest way and you could reuse the big screw if you don't cut it down. I would go that route.

Focused

It doesn't work that way. The threading fits down into the center column of the hot pod thru the 100 mm bowl. A spacer would make the problem worse. Need a reducer!

Necktie Boy

Okay, looked at some pictures of a Sachtler head. It seems the bolt is screwed into the head. The knob and cup fit on the bolt. Same deal with a Cartoni head. Manfrotto might have a retro kit.

On the O'Connor, the knob, bolt, and cup screw into the head. They are one piece to say. On the Sachtler models, the knob and cup screw to the bolt that is already attached to the head.

I did come across a retro bolt kit allow a bolt to take place. So, someone does make the bolt to work with a Sachtler sticks.

If your head is like my O'Conner, you need to locate a new bolt to make it work. A good tripod repair shop may have the bolt or makes them. I don't know off hand of any repair shops, but know they are out there.