No invoice received and invoice dodgers

BluesCam

Hey folks. Well, after several decades of being in business, I am slowly retiring. I have two issues I would like to settle.

1) About three years ago, a "producer" skipped town on me owing $1500. I think he is somewhere in Gettysburg, PA. I don't think I'll see the money, but it still bothers me
after three years. I had a pretty good relationship with him at first and he paid right away until the final shoot.

2) About 10 yr. ago I had a 1/2 day shoot and hired a friend for camera and he brought in someone I didn't know to do sound. I had other obligations that day. I finally received an invoice from my friend, but never received an invoice from the sound person. The amount would be $250.

I think I should try to find out who the sound person was and pay him. I don't know him and I have not been in touch with my camera guy friend for about two years now, but, he could probably tell me who the sound guy was.

I would like to resolve these matters before I totally leave the business.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Bob

Icarus112277

Goods luck with your retirement, a big part of me is jealous.

Funny how things can stick in your head. I applaud you looking for a resolution.

For the first guy google search his name (in quotes of course). If that doesn't yield enough results (or too many) try going to linkedin where you can narrow the geography down. And get in touch and get the payment sorted out. It could be an honest mistake.

For the second you already know how to do it and for the cheap price of 250 you can rest easy knowing that your debts are squared and you did right by everyone.

BluesCam

Icarus wrote: "Goods luck with your retirement, a big part of me is jealous."

Yes, Icarus, it's less stressful for me now, after 30 yr. in production. It seems weird though. On retiring, part of it is age and part is a neuro illness that has caused me quite a bit of damage and forced me to stop working, but I am doing better now.

"Funny how things can stick in your head. I applaud you looking for a resolution."

Thank you. Yes, it certainly is odd.

"For the first guy google search his name (in quotes of course). If that doesn't yield enough results (or too many) try going to linkedin where you can narrow the geography down. And get in touch and get the payment sorted out. It could be an honest mistake."

Thanks for your suggestion. I did that and found that he has a store up and running, and doing well, however, he skipped on the debt and I'm sure he has no intentions of making it right. It's not an honest mistake. I will try to find a way to collect. You can't give anyone a conscience who doesn't have one.

"For the second you already know how to do it and for the cheap price of 250 you can rest easy knowing that your debts are squared and you did right by everyone."

Yes. I will find out who he is and get the money to him. It's strange that someone wouldn't send an invoice. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Good luck.

Focused

What an inspiration you are to our community.

A small debt from so many years back could and would normally be forgotten or surrendered. It speaks volumes of your character that you want to settle it even after this much time has passed.

I hope the current and future generations (on both sides of the lens) can learn from and try to follow this simple and important example of taking care of yourself, your vendors and each other.

A tip of my hat to you sir.

BluesCam

Thank you, Focused. I think it's simply matter of personal integrity. I appreciate your kind words!

Capt. Slo-mo

If you are going to try to collect that debt, might want to hurry. In many states, after three years of no economic activity, you can still try to collect the debt all you want, but you can't sue for it. The clock starts ticking on the last day he either made a partial payment, or promised to pay.

BluesCam

If you are going to try to collect that debt, might want to hurry. In many states, after three years of no economic activity, you can still try to collect the debt all you want, but you can't sue for it. The clock starts ticking on the last day he either made a partial payment, or promised to pay.
You are absolutely right. Every state is different. Relying on someone to do the right thing has a very high failure rate. I gave up on another debt ($400) because I knew he would never pay it, and he had moved out of state. Indy producers are the worst, and have no remorse about stiffing you. BTW, I went back and looked at my invoices and I was wrong. The guy I first mentioned owes $2400, not $1500. I'll never see it.

You can see your state's policy on this here:
http://protectingconsumerrights.com/debt-collection-problems/statute-of-limitations-by-state/

BluesCam

Update on issue 2. Well, the plot thickens a little bit. I believe my shoot took place in early 2007. I have contacted the camera person and sound person that I thought worked the shoot. Neither one of them even remembers doing the shoot. Go figure. I am going to send the sound person a check, because I am pretty sure he was there.