New Panasonic super 35mm camcorder

Douglas

Doesn't include a viewfinder, doesn't have variable ND, and has a native Canon EF mount. Not for me.

Douglas

What would you guys recommend in the $8K price range?
There's no camera that can touch the value of a PXW-FS7 in that price range or any other. Canon and Panasonic can try to copy it, but they both fall short when you start comparing the details.

Douglas

If I didn't own a FS7 already and was I the market for one, I'd still buy the original FS7 instead of the FS7M2. Yes the new camera is better, but not $1500 better. Besides the Variable ND filter ( which is cool, I have it on my FS5) there is nothing the FS7M2 can do that the FS7 can't do. I just think that the FS7 offers more value if budget is a concern.

If I didn't own a FS7 already and was I the market for one, I'd still buy the original FS7 instead of the FS7M2. Yes the new camera is better, but not $1500 better. Besides the Variable ND filter ( which is cool, I have it on my FS5) there is nothing the FS7M2 can do that the FS7 can't do. I just think that the FS7 offers more value if budget is a concern.
Don't forget the square rod on the viewfinder nd the thumbscrews on the hand grip assembly, and more buttons. Granted they both should have been on the original but I think they add up. Just wish they would cut the price on the timecode back and or enable 4k out through sdi.

Douglas

Everyone has to make their own decisions, but for me, those other imrprovements aren't worth very much. I've had my FS7 for about three years now and I don't have any trouble at all with the design of the viewfinder or the lens mount. And adding more Assign Buttons is pointless unless they also add more functions that can be assigned to those buttons. I already have more buttons than there are possible functions that I want to assign to them. Variable ND would be great, but that, along with the rest of the improvements, don't add up to $1500 for me.

For other people, the FS7M2 might be worth the extra cost, but not for me.

BluesCam

Thanks for the reviews. FWIW, the FS5 has a $1K rebate going on until July 31, plus a free Metabones offer until June 30.