New JVC GY-HM650 for newsgathering!

svp

The 650 was designed for VJ's and web delivery in mind. It shoots AVCHD, XDCAM EX, and .MOV as well as SD .h264, allowing for very all file sizes for quick web uploads. The FTP function, combined with the small file sizes, mean you could connect the camera to your iPhones hotspot and send back clips to the station for without the need for a computer. Great feature for timely press conferences if you don't have a LIVE truck. The app works like a wireless monitor (much like the GoPro app) which helps VJ's frame shots when shooting there own stand ups and it transmits timecode. This camera would be perfect for long press conferences or congressional hearings where the reporter could sit with the app and log/take notes with timecode. Yes, you could do the old school method of setting timecode to time of day and letting it free run but this is still another great tool. It has a pretty darn good 23x Fuji lens.

Personally, I'd love it if these features were added to the 750. I still think the 750 is a great camera. However, the 650 has its place. Old school shoulder mount guys will hate it but those who understand and accept that this is the future of news (and are trying to make the best of it) will realize this is a pretty fine little camera for the money.

svp

I'll just add that my NX5 has GPS too and the only time I turn it on is when I'm shooting stock footage so when I sit down to cut it for upload to sell, I know where and when it was shot. Otherwise, it's not that useful.

Thanks for all the discussion here. I picture JVC as that company that will go for a feature and use that no other manufacturer will attempt. We've come to rely on them, for better or worse, to "leap frog" the competition. Yes the form factor is not for news. But, one thing that may have gone unnoticed is the 1080 native chips. At last.

Land Rover

I have one major problem with the camera. It's JVC. Their newer equipment is just not the most reliable in my experience. Now, their older gear, like the KY1900 or 2000, you couldn't break it if you tried.

svp

As far as reliability, I can't talk about the 650 but the 750 is an amazing camera and the staffers I know in shops that use them have had nothing but praise for them.

Necktie Boy

Many like the form factor. The deal breaker for me is on the 700 series is dead pixels. My buddy owns a 750, and it already has a dead pixel. Less than 200 hours.

cameragod

I was using a JVC GY-HM790 for live Melbourne Cup links this week and found myself counting dead pixels between hits… the camera was less than a year old.

Last edited:
Dead pixels on JVC

HM600 has CMOS and is 1080. Totally new imaging block. I would be interested to see what "cosmic rays" do over time.

For the HM700/710/750/790 and pixel masking:

.WARM CAMERA FOR 30 MINUTES

.SET CAMERA TO 720 60P

.POWER-UP PLUS PUSH THE DISPLAY BUTTON AT THE SAME TIME WHILE CAMERA IS POWERING.

.PRESS....MENU PLUS FOCUS ASSIST BUTTON AT THE SAME TIME

.ADVANCE MENU WILL APPEAR

.SCROLL TO ADVANCE FUNCTION

.PUSH: SET BUTTON

.SCROLL TO THE WORD: PIXEL COMPENDET

.PUSH: SET TO EXECUTE

.NOW: PHYSICALLY EXECUTE THE PROCESS

.EXECUTING WILL FLASH THEN STOP

NO MORE DEAD PIXEL(S)

Last edited:

Necktie Boy

OMEGA BROADCAST,

I thought that the method to mask pixels on the 700 and 750 were different.

Also, if you do it wrong, you brick the camera.

But why do JVC CCD have this problem?

Thanks