New Eye Candy...

nguyen.jason

Not really its just a pkg. I haven't posted anything in a while and I was able to get some time to save some pkgs. I thought this was a decent one for you to rip appart and do the b-roll critique thing. Its just a day turn story my reporter and I did in July about old cars getting a new life because they save people so much in gas getting 40-45 miles per gallon. Let me know what you think ;)

http://www.b-roll.net/tv/view_video.php?viewkey=26cbb0acad1e6ca74b9a

David R. Busse

Very nicely edited...tho I didn't think there were enough shots of small cars near the top of the piece. Too much visual emphasis on high gas prices (which is obvious). The not-so-obvious element is the demand for small cars, new or used. So where were the shots of rows of these cars at used car lots? Signs on those cars with "gas saver" or something like that? Used car salesmen saying they can't get enough of them the demand is so great? This was a story about small cars and I recall seeing more shots of gas prices than small cars.

Finally...I hate side-framed sot's unless there is some compelling reason for it. The profile interview shot really bothered me.

I do like reporters with Canadian accents...

Latin Lens

Nice job of the top....good pacing...the stand up was nice as well.

Profile interviews are generally not good unless like Busse said there's a compelling reason for it. You probably coulda done something really creative with him instead of just standing there but thats me playing monday morning quaterback.

I also find it fundamentally wrong when you edit back-to-back tight shots and the are the same framing...its looks akward...vary the shots up in that case from diffent angles...just don't break your axis.

nguyen.jason

Very nicely edited...tho I didn't think there were enough shots of small cars near the top of the piece. Too much visual emphasis on high gas prices (which is obvious). The not-so-obvious element is the demand for small cars, new or used. So where were the shots of rows of these cars at used car lots? Signs on those cars with "gas saver" or something like that? Used car salesmen saying they can't get enough of them the demand is so great? This was a story about small cars and I recall seeing more shots of gas prices than small cars.

Finally...I hate side-framed sot's unless there is some compelling reason for it. The profile interview shot really bothered me.

I do like reporters with Canadian accents...

Thanks David. The story was more about the crx and geo line being (what some might say) brought back from the past because of their great mileage. The guy we interviewed was someone that rebuilds these cars and sells them on venues like craigslist etc. from his home. I see what your saying with the side shot I just wanted to try something diff

nguyen.jason

Thanks LL,
I all good stuff. I was just going for the quick edits at the time, But I do get what your saying.

Rad

I didn't like the "news" value of the story, too many unanswered questions. And I'd agree with a lot written above. I thought the stand-up was a bit forced... (Sing it with me) "I could have been an actor, but I wound up here.." and I hate the cliche' side-view mirror shot. But it was a decent story and above aveage at least.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Not Bad

I agree with most of what has been said... the side shot was jarring and unmotivated, but I understand the reason for trying.

I did not mind the orchestrated stand up all the much. It shows you're thinking!

It could just be my speakers, but was the CRX dude's audio a little low?

Also, I'm guessing that you were the hand model on the opening sequence? Be careful with that. I know we're sometimes short on video, but be careful "manufacturing" too much video...

Besides needing a little more "steady", it was a pretty damn good piece. You're definitely growing!

nguyen.jason

Ya I see what your saying. My reporter got back from seeing her boyfriend in a top 20 market and the ND told her that most ND's are looking for alot of sequencing/action now, I don't know if it is true or not. We have been toying with standups that have more then 2 parts to it, expecailly on stories that really don't have much to go on and we decided to go all out this time. I figured if I covered almost every aspect of filling your tank up it would be a great way to start the pkg add that to the stand up and really make it flow. At least now I know to only pull the side interview in certain situations

A Step Above Productions

First off I didn't read the feedback form others - Overall it looked like every other gas story -

The Open - been done way to many times on these stories

The Stand up -too many edits and all over and the mirror thing also overdone

Interview with the kid - Didn't like the profile

Audio was edited nice but this was nothing special