Network vs Hoop-Jumpin' Monkey Live

NEWSSHOOTER3

Which do you prefer and/or are suggested to do? The well-lit 'network' liveshot, or the local-monkey, less lighted, 'active' liveshot, and why?

Thoughts? Thoughts on being both?

svp

When I first started at KWTV I was setting up hair lights for night live shots and essentially doing network live shots unless told otherwise. Reporters told me they had never had anyone set up a hair light before. Now they are mandatory for night live shots.

I tell the reporters straight up that if they ask me what we should do for a live shot then its going to be a non-moving network lit live shot. If they want to do a "monkey sucking his stick" live shot so they can touch a wall or pick up a stick then its top light only. They can decide. They are the ones on camera. Reporters here are told to try to do demonstrative live shots, yet management REALLY like the well lit shots and I said you can't have it both ways.

Network shots are more work for me but they look good and are what I prefer. However, if you want to look like a fool so you can walk five feet and touch a wall then I'll just chalk it up to a lazy live shot and move on to tomorrow.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Agreed

When I first started at KWTV I was setting up hair lights for night live shots and essentially doing network live shots unless told otherwise. Reporters told me they had never had anyone set up a hair light before. Now they are mandatory for night live shots.

I tell the reporters straight up that if they ask me what we should do for a live shot then its going to be a non-moving network lit live shot. If they want to do a "monkey sucking his stick" live shot so they can touch a wall or pick up a stick then its top light only. They can decide. They are the ones on camera. Reporters here are told to try to do demonstrative live shots, yet management REALLY like the well lit shots and I said you can't have it both ways.

Network shots are more work for me but they look good and are what I prefer. However, if you want to look like a fool so you can walk five feet and touch a wall then I'll just chalk it up to a lazy live shot and move on to tomorrow.
I tend to agree with that. Visually appealing beats hoop jumps, in my book :)

2 Hungry Dogs

I prefer it to be well lit, but if the reporter can show something off that will help tell the story, I'm fine with it.

Necktie Boy

I like the walk and talk if it adds to the story. Yes, it's a challenge to light, but done correctly, it's very nice. My pet pea lately has been a local reporter that has to show the camera something. It could be written report, baseball bat, a wall, or any item that she believe that adds to her story. If I do catch her, I wonder what she is going to show LOL

satpimp

Whether Talent, Photog, Engineer or Producer. Some want whiz bang. Some want everything looking pretty. Some have have an agenda. Some are storytelling. Some couldn't squeeze a drop either way.

I can help create or control light for anyone who asks. Before I danced for the local organ grinder, I ran with A LOT more lighting and grip support but it's always cool to keep the learning curve from flattening.

The low draw of LED is a game changer.

Cheers,
Omar