Need HELP building ENG Truck Box???

crmcintyre

Calling all Carpenters... I've got a Expedition Truck that could really use some space management, and I'm throwing around different ideas and plans for buliding a plywood box to orgainize everything. I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, pictures, problems you've run into, lessons you've learned from building a box. Saftey of the gear, maximizing the space, and easy of pulling stuff out are my main objectives.... All ideas welcome!

Thanks Guys!

Capt. Slo-mo

Don't know how you would get the information, but while at KATU-TV in Portland last week, I noticed they have a pretty sweet setup in the back of their news SUVs, including a slide-out locking drawer for the camera to ride in.

Ben Longden

TEN News have a nifty slide out box as well for the sticks and another for the lighting stands. Nothing loose to crash around in the back of the station wagon.

Best thing I ever included in the kit was a catering bag for those all nighters... you know, a 12v kettle, water, coffee tea, UHT milk, nibbles and the like..

An inverter is a must, especially if you are 100km from the nearest power point to recharge the camera or light batteries.

Ben

virtualchuck

I seem to recall that one of the suppliers of mounting/storage equipment for police/military make different sized storage mountable containers for certain models of SUV's. I think it was either RAM or Pelican, but if you do some searching you'll probably find it. Also the companies that make plastic/metal storage boxes for construction vehicles may have something the right size?

104imdirect

Do it yourself!

Here are some pics of my 09 Expedition. Two slabs of plywood and a few 2x4s. I'm no carpenter, but I spent about three hours putting this together. Also, I have a barrier between the rear seats and cargo area in case of a water landing. A 300w inverter is connected to the rear 12v and powers an AB quad charger. An 800w inverter (in a carrying case, needs to be connected directly to the car battery) lives under the rear seats.

Last edited: