my fingers are cold

The first REALLY cold day of winter arrived today and it is painfully obvious my gloves aren't going to do the job. They're old, they're thin, they're ready to be put out to pasture. So, anyone have some suggestions on gloves that are good for work - i.e. they will keep my fingers warm but aren't so think I can't function. Thanks and keep warm out there in your 7 degree live shots.

newz2me

My advice would be to have two different gloves. A heavy duty glove on your right hand holding the camera and a lighter glove on your left hand so you could feel the switches and hit the record button on the front of the camera.
I'll bet your right hand fingers are the coldest? The reason is because that hand is exposed to the elements and being held up the blood is running out of the tips. The heavier glove will help insolate it better. The light gloved hand can stay in your pocket to keep warm. Also buy some pocket warmers for the really bad days.
Another bit of advice during extreme cold and wind is put your rain gear on the camera. You hand will slip under the rain gear and stay out of the elements keeping it a bit warmer.
Good luck and stay warm.

focusthis

Not many really cold days here. I shoot with mechanic's gloves most of the time. I'm usually not outside for very long. However, I shot a Christmas parade handheld for over an hour, with a handwarmer pad slipped into the the palm of my "thin" gloves. What I learned is that the bloodflow decreased to my fingers from the pressure, and it was twice as bad as just being cold.

Pro Tip: So don't do that.

cameradog

I wear a pair of Mountain Hardwear gloves I got from REI that are designed to be used as standalone gloves or as liners for heavier gloves. They're thin and tight enough to operate the camera with them on but fairly warm. If it's too cold for them by themselves, I have a pair of generic half-finger knit gloves with rubberized palms that I pull over the Mountain Hardwear gloves. Those leave my fingertips free to operate the camera, and the rubberized palms make it easy to grip my gear when carrying it.

That's the best combination I found. I know guys who use the fold-back shooting (hunting) gloves that are like mittens with a flap that folds away to free your fingers to fire your rifle, but to me that stupid flap seems like it would get in the way. I doubt my setup would work too well in someplace stupidly cold like Wyoming.

Shootblue

I got a pair of thin black gloves at academy or MC Sports...cant quite find them but they are basically form fitting. I wear another set of nubbed knit gloves over those...just barely enough feel to run the controls. Not as great a buy as my set of ski pants...thin enough to fit over jeans, just enough insulation to stay warm, and waterproof. I don't know how I survived til last year without them.

Run&Gun

They're not gonna keep your hands warm for long in extreme cold, but I like the Under Armour running gloves/glove liners for shooting when it's cold. They are very thin and flexible AND have a "grippy" rubbery type of coating on the palms.

Dan R.

I use the little heat packets (hand warmers) inside my gloves and shoes, and they work great. They last for about 10 hours. I use them in normal gloves that allow for camera operation. A pack of 6 costs 2 bucks at Wal-Mart (they're in the outdoors/hunting section) - I buy them in large number every winter.

Rad

I wear a pair of Thinsulate (sp?) glove liners, They are very thin and wick moisture away from the skin. Then when it's really cold, I have a pair of Neoprene (sp?) flyfishing gloves to wear over top of the glove liners. The fly fishing gloves have thumb and index fingers that fold open to reveal the top of each. This allows you to get finer touch on the camera controls.

When it's mildly cold, I wear mechanic gloves... I have reflective orange safety gloves.

irspit

Gloves

I counted my gloves the other day, 5 pairs. I have thick ones that are really good for crazy snowdays, they were the ones I had as a kid that I could make snowballs and not get wet. I have a pair of Spyder windproof ones, not too good for cold weather, but are awesome for windy days. I have the hunting ones that I don't use too much, my hands stay warm, but I hate cold fingers and that's what the hunting ones give me. I have a pair of 180s brand with a little covered hole so that you can blow warm air into them. They were great until my tripod kept catching the finger and tore a hole in it. My favorite ones though are my North Face fleece goretex ones, keep me warm, thin enough to feel the controls and never ever get wet. If you can find North Face ones, try em, I got mine at an outlet store for $20.

f11vid

PRO user
SCUBA gloves

Find a dive shop online and look for the the neoprene gloves that SCUBA divers use.They come in various densities and flexibility.In very cold weather, I wear these under traditional gloves or mittens.

Icarus112277

Batting gloves are good to shoot with, keep a warmer pair nearby.
I found a really good pair of ski gloves that are actually two pairs of gloves- one thick and very padded and one thin that fits in the thicker set.

Land Rover

I wear a pair of nomex flight gloves. They don't keep the worst of the cold away but they still allow me to operate everything on the camera without having to take them off. If I was up north somewhere I'm sure they wouldn't cut it.

Lost in Alaska

We are actually colder than Anchorage right now. I have used a pair of fleece gloves made by Head for the past few years. I keep a hand warmer in the palm to fold my fingers into when they get cold. I have used these gloves down to -20F.

One other thing to keep in mind is to keep your core warm. If your body gets cold, it will take the blood flow from the extremities to stay alive. Don't buy a good set of gloves, and skimp on a hat and jacket.

phojorisin

cheap and warm

I used to work in the northern Michigan and winter lasted at least 6 months up there, so I spent a few years perfecting my hand-warming process. I found the best method for me (and also the cheapest) was to go get a regular pair of winter gloves (i.e. columbia or a similar off-brand). Then, go get a really cheap pair of those "little" gloves that you can get for like $3.00 at Target. They are no bigger than your hand and very thin.

I would always wear the thin ones, because that way my skin was never exposed. But I would wear the regular gloves over the thin ones. If I needed to get to the tiny controls on the camera, all I had to do was slide the big gloves off.

I think the key for me was to never expose your skin, and never touch the camera or tripod with bare skin either, 'cause then it's just cold!

I went to the L.L. Bean store (you could most likely order them online from the catalogue) and got a pair. There were a little expensive liek $40 but worth it, At first they appear to be somewhat thick, but once you have got them on and they are a bit broken in your still able to move your fingers around and can still work the focus/iris rings, as well as flip most of the important switches on the side like white balance and gain etc.... They are also waterproof and have that lining that will keep moisture away from your skin in case they sweat. The best gloves! I have also seen similiar pairs that are insulated, as well as waterproofed with GOR-TEX from the Cabella's catalogue, prices are about the same.

To all my fellow photogs north of the mason-dixon line stay warm this winter!

jumpkutz

I've always used a combination of two basic pairs of gloves. Most of the time, I use the ragg wool fingerless gloves with the foldover, Thinsulate lined mitten. I just bought a new pair that I really like at Eddie Bauer. They have magnets imbedded in the fabric in place of velcro tabs to hold the flaps when not in use.
On SWAT stakeouts and other long term outdoor shoots, I alternate between those and a standard pair of Gore-Tex ski gloves. Again, not ideal, but it works for me.