Most important things for news cars to have?

BryantVW

I will be moving jobs in a few weeks, moving to a bigger market, and to a station that gives its photogs take home cars and gear.

It doesn't have to be a top 10 list, but what things do I HAVE to have in a news car to survive? What things do you wish you had, and what things have served you well over the years?

I already have a few ideas, and let me know if these are good or not... I'd keep multiple umbrellas, boots, a jacket, a change of shorts/pants/socks... And I was considering buying one of those little refrigerators powered by the cigarette lighter (I picked that one up from the forums)

What else?

cyndygreen1

1. Baby wipes, cleaning towelettes.
2. Small hair dryer (saved my b*** once when I got water between the elements of the lens). Oh - and the talent can use it too.
3. ALWAYS had USFS topo maps (we spent quality time in the woods and hinterlands).
4. Small stash of well-sealed non-perishable food. Rotate occasionally.
5. Roll of toilet paper and hand trowel or small shovel (and I mean lots of quality time in the woods or snowbanks).
6. Matches.
7. Change of clothes/especially socks is good. Don't forget gloves.
8. NoMex & rain gear.
9. Sunscreen, bug repellent, poison oak spray.
10. Hats...for rain & sun.
Remember, what you bring, you will share with whoever is your ride for the day.

Lensmith

Adding to Cyndy"s already good list...

Invest in an inverter. It doesn't have to be a high wattage one...though they are nice if you can afford them. But a small 400 watt inverter is enough to power a computer or your battery charger...but probably not a stand light or hair dryer.

I'd also suggest one of those "double" cigarette lighter plug-in's so both you and your reporter can keep your phone or iPod charged on long drives.

A nice big golf umbrella will make you lots of friends who happen to stand in front of your lens!

Forget the refrigerator. Expensive and takes up too much space. Plus you'll forget stuff in it and it will stink since it won't be powered while the car is off and parked over the weekends when you're not using the vehicle. Get a good small cooler or insulated bag to keep things chilled instead. Better use of your limited space.

A real GPS. Not just your cell phone, which will slip and slide...or be forgotten in the car when you're in a hurry to get in and out, leaving you unable to communicate when you need it most.

fotofinish

An extra rain coat... Many a time, the reporter forgot or just simply didn't have one. A wet reporter, is a miserable being. A dry reporter, is very grateful.

Starman

An extra rain coat... Many a time, the reporter forgot or just simply didn't have one. A wet reporter, is a miserable being. A dry reporter, is very grateful.
I also like to keep an extra set of camera rain gear in the vehicle at all times. What kind of a vehicle will you get? The trucks that we drove at KTVT were Ford Expeditions.

if you are in a cold climate than extra glove for wintertime stories. I am reminded of the reporter who had never seen snow and bought her winter gloves in Puerto Rico. Didn't work so well in Massachusetts.

Also I would suggest a small first aid kit with antacid, Immodium and Advil for those special days.

BryantVW

Thanks everyone for the responses. If anyone has anything else, feel free to keep adding to it!

I also like to keep an extra set of camera rain gear in the vehicle at all times. What kind of a vehicle will you get? The trucks that we drove at KTVT were Ford Expeditions.
Pretty sure it will be some kind of SUV. I saw a few expeditions in the fleet but I won't know what I will have until I start.

Thanks!

svp

In addition to the obvious camera gear, always keep duct tape and large heavy duty industrial strength trash bags. Its amazing what you can do with those two things in all sorts of situations.

pixlmgr

A good sized fire extinguisher. I was really glad to have it when my catalytic converter started a small grass fire a few years ago.
Aligator clips for the inverter, you can run a light, and portable microwave Tx off it but your cigarette lighter socket, and electrical system, will be smoking by the end of the live shot.
Long jumper cables, for when your inverter has been running more than your engine (see above)
Snow Chains, they work in the mud too.
An Army Surplus folding shovel has come in handy in the snow.

cyndygreen1

In addition to the obvious camera gear, always keep duct tape and large heavy duty industrial strength trash bags. Its amazing what you can do with those two things in all sorts of situations.
Great point SVP! You can use for rain gear, make a camera cover, a tent...fix a hem. Endless possibilities!

csusandman

Backpacking in your truck...

I too have many of the things mentioned in the above posts; some I have used many times, others barely a handful. BUT, when I needed said item it was great that I had it!

My suggestion would be a backpacking stove, a mess kit and a pack or two of the backpacking food. NOT a big ol' car camping stove, but one that is very compact. A mess kit that you can use to boil water to which you can make the freeze-dried food. I've actually had to whip these out a couple of times and I was VERY thankful!

Good luck and have fun!

FOXLight

one thing to remember if you are in big market chances are you are loading into a live truck everyday to start your shift. so while it is good to be stocked in your unit. Those items do you know good unless you put them in the truck. And trust me you will figure out what you can live and can't live without when it comes to gear and creature comforts.

Ben Longden

I think you have most things covered...

Essentially, you need gear to be self sufficient from toilets, shelter and mains power for at least 24 hours. If you think of that, and the location you are working in then you should be fine.

If we cover a bushfire, we have to wear fire fighters gear with MEDIA on the back, so any form of PPE for grass fires, especially a facemask and goggles is a must. Saved my eyes and throat last fire season.

Plenty of shop bought (sterile) water so you can wash the soot off your face and eyes.

A 12v kettle with a small catering kit...

A decent first aid kit. I had to use my airsplints to do FA on a netballer who broke her ankle right in front of me, and the ambos were 30 mins away.

Plenty of spare tape/cards for that once in a lifetime shot.

Spare camera, microphone and light batteries

Spare globes for the on camera light.

Mains powered camera battery charger to run off the inverter.

Phone charger, preferably with car kit and hi gain external aerial, because your location will never have enough signal...

A favourite book.... to while away the hours before the police will let you close to the crime scene....

AND a reflective vest so when you are covering road crashes, the rubber neckers have a illuminated target to hit... and the trigger happy cops know who to shoot first. ;)

Silverado61

I agree with many of the thngs said above. I've always found it helpful to have a couple of reporter notebooks and or pads of lined paper. I can't tell you how many times I have left with a reporter that forgets a notebook. Also a few pens in the glove box would be good, not ball point pens get some felt tip or non-ball point pens, especially if you are in a cold WX climate, there is a pretty good fine point sharpie that doesn't bleed thru the paper...works well in rain and snow storms. Also if you are in a cold climate have some of the air activated hand warmers and a couple of ziploc bags because if you want to be frugal you can throw the hand warmers in the bag and reuse if you need to. I would also throw a couple of extra notbooks/pads in the live trucks as well. I always found it good to have a Live Truck bag with an extra mic, audio and video cords and a spare IFB or two if you can get one, been out on too many spots news lives when a reporter forgets their IFB when they leave the building, that way you can just grab the bag instead of transfering all of your gear to the truck if it's a spot news situation and you have to leave fast, just make sure you have enough to do the live in the bag.

Good luck with the new gig.

satpimp

simple but overlooked

Can opener
Bottle opener
Metal knife, fork and spoon (plural)

In a pinch they can make a bad moment pass quickly. Any restaurant that wraps silverware in a cloth napkin is a few lighter after I leave. The drawer we keep them in is the most widely used in the truck.

Previous posts contain good lists, all. Fix it, make do or do without. The field is unforgiving but you can't pack everything. Have the trucks cary some of the freight.

When I freelanced I probably had 300 pounds of "stuff" just in case. We usually ran ready to prepare hot grub during hurricanes. Got me a lot of extra work after Katrina.

The benchmark is pie al a mode after dinner and omlettes for breakfast. That was because we all got along and shared the sandbox.. and everyone brought their own silverware ;).

Omar