Military Photogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

<Interested>

Interested in hearing from Army photogs past or present! What is it like as a military/ combat cameraman. Did you like your experience in the military (specifically interested in the US Army's 55th Signal Company/ Combat Camera.)Would you recommend the experience to someone else, Good Assignments? or the typical military B.S.

Thanks,
C.H.

Terry E. Toller

Things are different now, of course but I was a Navy photog in 1966 and 1967. I went to photo "A" school which was the top school at the time. We learned motion picture productin as well as still photography.

After graduation I was sent to San Diego and assigned to the Combat Camera Group. From there, I was assigned to the Fleet Air Photo Lab in Barber's Point Hawaii. From there, I was asigned to the Marine Corps. as a photographer. I was on a rotation of covering the war in Vietnam, two weeks in, two weeks out.

I am not sure but I think the Navy did away with the rate of 'Photographer's Mate' and they now call it 'Photojournalist'.

At the time, it was great training and you get paid while you are in school! I feel that I learned the basics of photography in the navy. After I got out of the Navy, I attended the Glen Fishback School of Photography. Glen was one of the '8X10 group with Ansel Adams, Edward Weston and a couple of others. That was the best training I have received. That is where I learned the fine art of lighting. Sadly, Glen died in the 80's and the school closed. I then attended the Southern Career Institute and earned a degree with honors in Photography.

I have also learned alot about lighting from Dean Colins videotape series, "fine light". He is a still photog but the principals of lighting still apply.

N

<navykid>

Nice career Terry! The Navy didn't do away with the Photographers Mate rate though. It's still there, although its a very small field. They now tend to train the Journalist's (JO) to specialize in either print, broadcast or public affairs. They just hold a different NEC. I was a 3221, a broadcaster, I think still photogs are 8610's. But there are still, PH's out there. I got out in 2001 as a JO2, and I'm regretting it ever since.

A

<always ranting>

Yeah, nice career. How about answering the guy's question. Instead of carrying on about where you went to school.

Terry E. Toller

It looked to me like he might be interested in the 'experience' for training. If you can't add to the thread, don't get nasty just because you haven't been there!

I

<Interested>

Terry, you are correct I am looking for "the experience" been a local news photog for years, interested in doing my part (serving my country) I'm single, and watching all these guys who are married with kids doing there part, maybe it's time for me to give back and learn some valuable skills at something that does interest me.
Please any info from a Honest and Truthful source would be great, let's not make jokes guys just some good advice.

E

<Ex-Army>

I finished my contract in June of 02, and was a photographer in the Army. I love photography, but unfortunately I was stationed at Ft. Irwin in southern California... i.e. in the middle of the desert, and had to spend 2 weeks in the field each month (for 3 years) following different training units around and getting video of what they were doing. If you get an assignment like that... it isn't that great, but I had a buddy that was in 55th, and he loved it.. he only spent a few months each year in the U.S., other than that he was overseas, they went to different countries about every 3 months. I would have loved that. It's kind of like the lottery, as far as where you get stationed, and you have a good chance of getting stationed in Korea. I also went to AIT, (video school) with 2 guys that got stationed in the White House, so they're pretty much gonna get any job they want when they get out. I'd recommend it, but unfortantely, if you just want to be a cameraman, they're phasing that out... you'd have to sign up to be a journalist, because they're combining the two jobs.... If you wanna know more about it in the army, go to a recruiter and ask about the 25V mos, or the 48Q mos... (but don't let them talk you into signing up right then and there)

Status
Not open for further replies.