Mercedes Sprinter SNG issues

Sentinel94

has anyone had any issues with using these vans for Satellite operations? Whether it be equipment failures or just plain truck problems. The sliding door keeps getting jammed to the point where we can't open or close the door. Fun when it's raining or snowing! It just seems like there's been more issues with these trucks that we never saw with the Fords....just curious

FeedingFrenzy

Drove both the standard and long versions for several years. The side door is an issue, but its also the user responsibility to NOT throw it back with full force. If the stopper is not in the right place, that'll also complicate matters.

satpimp

Sprinters for SNG

First generation Sprinters were a nightmare. The suspensions were topped out driving off the lots with all the gear. The drive train also suffered mightily by never deadheading. Transmissions, turbos, tires were automatic maintenance nightmares. Most of the glaring shortcomings were addressed very well and now the Sprinter is pretty much the standard.

Its all in the integration and gear. Some of the Sprinters are all the equal of most big trucks except for the work space and stowage.

Be wary if getting a used chasis.

The biggest problem with not having an external box is likely having you're chasis wear out before your dish/mast/operations gear does. That said if we were to replace our sat trucks today, Sprinters would be the leading chasis candidate.

Depending on who will do your integration, look at their recent deliveries list. Talk to operators of their trucks. They will know what details to sweat at the build. It will save many headaches down the road.

Omar

Ben Longden

We use a Sprinter in our volunteer Ambulance.. It had problems that prevented the left hand door from closing and latching unless the door was lifted at the rear... took the mechanic five mins to fix.

tvnews

Sprinter

has anyone had any issues with using these vans for Satellite operations? Whether it be equipment failures or just plain truck problems. The sliding door keeps getting jammed to the point where we can't open or close the door. Fun when it's raining or snowing! It just seems like there's been more issues with these trucks that we never saw with the Fords....just curious
I owned and operated a 2001 Frontline DSNG van. Prior to this I had a Wolfcoach ford van dsng truck. Personally I love the Sprinter. Sprinters do have a special set of issues. The sliding door is one of them. The Turbo resonator is another, and body rust is another. You should look at http://sprinter-source.com To get a good handle on Sprinters and the fix for each problem.

Dean
State News Service

newz

YES!!!

Ours has been back to the shop 3 times in 1 1/2 years for the same issues. The amp controller doesn't want to talk to the amp and it keeps happening. Our sat finder also crapped out once along with the sat's GPS. Now it can take 30 MINUTES for the dish to find the bird.

I know NBC O/O's have ditched the standard sat finder due to constant issues.

We're also having the side door issue.

When it runs, it great. Otherwise...

FeedingFrenzy

I'm sorry if I offend, but if you have not been taught how to "Walk the Arc", then there is a significant issue and a total lack of proper training.

newz

I'm sorry if I offend, but if you have not been taught how to "Walk the Arc", then there is a significant issue and a total lack of proper training.
No offense taken. The auto feature is great to use when you're shooting and setting up the truck at the same time.