Memorial Day Concert

Latin Lens

So good baseline to access skills and level...and this is a much better story to see what you do and don't do well. Much better intro on this...but its obvious that you're shooting a lot off your tripod which I suggest you stop, only because you can get better, steadier and sometimes more creative shots using your tripod. If you use it more and more you'll learn to get and use it faster which is what you want. There are times for off the tripod but this probably isn't the scenario. If you're talking music then let's see some reax to it...how about some fingers tapping on a leg or smile from an audience member...soemthing like that to show the action and reaction you want in telling stories. Get all the necessary shots with you did with band but let's see the reactions cuz that adds the salt and pepper to the story that can make it memorable to the viewer. Baby steps in growth, but for a GA piece its acceptable. As we add little tips and tricks you'll start to see how different your GA stories will look.

Necktie Boy

I would have approached this story differently. Knowing that I would have problems with lighting, I would have changed my story angle to the musicians in the band. It is the "Lafayette Citizens Band".

Maybe how the musicians came around to be in the band? How does it feel to play for an audience for the first time of the season. How did it feel to play for a special audience?

Again, think out of the box. Bounce ideas off your reporters.

RyanD

I really wanted to get some crowd shots it was just SUPER dark in the crowd. They had all of they lights off in the crowd area...any tips on that?

Necktie Boy

There really isn't a way to do that without using an on-camera light. Or some luck and stage lighting leaks to the first few rows of seats. The reason I mentioned that since I saw that using crowd reaction would be very difficult. I don't like sticking a light in front of a crowd.

RyanD

Yeah I agree. I've had trouble in the past getting my frezzi to throw enough light to get any sort of good exposure...and the first two rows were empty for some reason. This event is usually outside which I feel would have it easier to shoot. At least to get crowd reaction shots. I did enjoy this though.