Mac help

KsPhotog

I use Final Cut on Mac Book Pro to edit video but also use the computer for other work. I'm now out of hard drive space. I bought a portable hard drive that I've moved all my video files to, but I'm still out of space on the main hard drive. I can't even do updates because there's not enough room left.

Everyone I work with is on PC, so I'm not able to get help here. I just need to know where to find the hidden video files that may be left that I can delete and what else I need to do to get more space!
Thanks!

Alx

Clean up

In Final Cut Pro Documents, there should be folders, "capture scratch" for material you played in with "Log and Capture" and "XDCam transfer" for material you brought in with "XDCam Transfer".

Delete anything you don't need anymore.

That's were most of files should be. Open "finder" and search the "Macintosh HD" for
".mov" files to locate any other files that may be an random locations.

Lastly, in FCP pull down "tools". then "render manager". Check the "remove" column
to delete any old renders.

Empty your trash, and enjoy.

Here is how I delete files when I'm finished with a project.

1st...render manager and delete renders for the project I'm killing.

2nd...select all the clips in the project's bin.

3rd...right click any clip, then click "make off-line"

4th...select "delete them from disk", click "OK" then "OK" again.

5th...all the clips are still selected, but they have red slashes, delete them.

repeat 2 - 5 for any other bins in the project.

6th...Delete the project icon.

7th...empty your trash.

This has worked for us. If anyone else has another system, please post it.

Last edited:

KsPhotog

Thanks for all the help. I was able to delete about 100g of video! Things are running much smoother now!

zac love

I usually do a drive search for anything over a half a gig in size.
Also, you can search for video files on your drive.
I have often just searched for the big files when I need space. Finding a few 3MB files aren't going to help clear up space for an hour of video.

Another thing to search for is render files. If you are really in a bind for space, delete some render files from an older project. Re-rendering is sometimes easier than recapturing.

The biggest thing I miss about being on a PC is the search function. " windows+f *.* " brings up every file on the computer. Plus EVERY file has an extension so you can search for *.ext. It bugs me that things like a project file can be tricky to search for on a mac since they don't have an extension.

Although I really do like how well spotlight works. I use spotlight & type the app name when I want to open it instead of going down to the dock or app folder.