Lots of new videos on b-roll/tv. Have a look!

Deft Depth

Greetings,

Just got hip to the fact you can now post your videos on-line to b-roll.net/tv and I'd love for anyone to check out what I've posted. I really don't care what you look at, just pick one that strikes your fancy and let me know what you think. Much appreciated.

ASG

edit: I figured out how to post the player. Only added a few. There's still several more in my proile on b-roll/tv.

[b-rollTV]1023[/b-rollTV]

[b-rollTV]1025[/b-rollTV]

[b-rollTV]1039[/b-rollTV]

Last edited:

NEWSSHOOTER3

Bulk

Alright... no one else is biting, so I'll get it started...

First, posting eight :eek: stories at a time is probably why no one wants to jump on this (just as a heads up)... one at a time is probably the way to go... :)

Having said that, I watched the first one (drug bust) and you got my interest early with some old tricks. I thought the car wipes worked for you, but it was hard to tell at such low quality (res). And, maybe that's why no one else is helping with any critiques. Beyond that, pretty pedestrian (not to be ugly), run of the mill drug bust story. I know its hard to keep the pace sometimes, but it felt like it took a dip after the quick intro. I also thought you could have exhibited your "character" (dude w/ no shirt) a little more, but that's just me...

Lastly, I'm not sure if this was a look live, or what, but you still ended the piece on a sound bite. I'd prefer that you cove at least the end of that, but that's just me...

All in all, seemed like a cool story but, again, the resolution seemed really low... maybe you can work on that, too, and you might get more response...?

I'll try and check out a few more later...

And, that's my .02... :)

Deft Depth

My problem with the resolution part is that the file size limit is only 100 mb. Most of my stories are in the 200 range. What file format should I convert them to that is smaller size, yet higher resolution?

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

Quicktime my friend, Quicktime. Upgrade to Quicktime Pro and things will get MUCH easier for you. You should have no trouble getting a 2:00 piece down to like 12 MB.

Corporate Management

Bees: awesome. The way the interview shots were set up was really inspired...they didn't look like interview shots at all, and the way the bees were crawling all over the guy's hand was simultaneously creepy and mesmerizing.

911 calls: Again, nice interview shots, and I liked the way the calls were spliced in. However, I got the feeling that there was more wackiness there that I didn't get to see--although maybe you were restricted to what they gave you. It was really a unique take on a 911 story.

Computer trash: This was good, but I felt like something was missing. Having so much nat sound going on lent itself to something more "chaotic", from an editing standpoint. I've found that you can cut together tight shots with audio EXTREMELY short, without it seeming jarring, as long as there isn't too much to take in at once. A shot that lasts a half second can be just fine, if you let the audio of a monitor banging on the ground dictate the edit (if that makes sense).

Also, the rule of threes works here, at least in my experience. You can have two quick shots of monitors banging, followed by a third, slightly longer shot of a monitor being dragged, and it makes for a nice little mini-montage. Not sure if I'm explaining myself very well there...

It was good seeing some handheld shots in there...I feel like in a lot of stories I see, people are afraid to take it off the tripod. When there's so much movement going on, I don't think the people at home can even notice the difference. Shooting off the shoulder let you get a lot closer, and I'm sure you ended up with a larger number of shots because of it.

I also want to commend the writing at the beginning...the references to the graveyard and the undertaker drew me in.

And again, nice interview shots. You make me want to set up the wider shots more often.

Deft Depth

Quicktime my friend, Quicktime. Upgrade to Quicktime Pro and things will get MUCH easier for you. You should have no trouble getting a 2:00 piece down to like 12 MB.
Baltimore:
That's honestly what I thought I've been doing. Not sure if you're familiar with the Grass Valley system "Edius", but there's a great export tool called the Canopus Procoder. In Canopus, it gives you several options when you want to export or "print to file". To get smaller file sizes, I select the Quicktime export file. Smaller file size, yet ****ty resolution. If I just select a regular quicktime file, then it becomes too large for the 100 mb file size limit. Any thoughts?

Corporate:
On the 911 story, you were right. This was originally a package, and the two calls I laced in were given to us by the 911 operators. So by default I had to frame the story around them. Everything else I just waited around for. It took a long time for those ladies to get comfortable with me. But eventually they warmed up :)

On the TV story, I'd say 90% of that story was shot off my shoulder. There were a few times I set the camera on the ground or on a table, but for the most part I was running and gunning the b-roll because I was in a hurry. I'm not sure I follow you on your critique though. Are you essentially saying just throw in more nats?