Looking 4 Camera/Liability insurance deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the number for the NPPA affiliated company that gives discounted rates for members on equipment and liability insurance. I have tried calling the main office but only getting voice mail. My old carrier for my inland marine policy has decided not to cover our segment anymore. If you know of someone else that is reasonable to freelancers would you pass along their contact info.
Thanks for the help!

dinosaur

Contact Bill Hudson at DeWitt Stern of California
818 623-1170 or BHudson@dewittstern.com

The price of the NPPA affiliated insurance has skyrocketed in the last couple of years because they are in a pool with mostly still photographers and they have a much higher loss rating than video & film companies.

DeWitt Stern Ins. Co. will give you a much better rate on inland marine and liability policies. Their policies are underwritten by a big company like Fireman's Fund. They understand the film and video business much better than the NPPA underwriters.

Terry E. Toller

Turman Van Dyke in Hollywood uses Lloyd's of London for their equipment policies. I had a claim with them back in the 80's and they paid within a couple of days!

dayrate

The number is 800-522-2460. It's The Hayes Co. James Koenigsdorf is the man to contact for info and rates about the NPPA plan.

I've used them for 10 years, and had one camera theft. They replacad my Ike V55 & lens, without hassle (w/ a V59). (The fine print stated that they did not have to pay if stolen out of a vehicle, and the vehicle was not secured/locked & did not show obvious signs of break-in). It was a snatch and grab while we were loading gear into the Suburban at an airport. We were right by the car. It was not locked and there was no obvious break-in. All this was stated on the police report, and in my report to them... They paid the claim, saying they understood the unique "nature" of the then-current camera thefts.

Good luck with your search. Always a good idea to shop around, but overall, I've been happy with the claim service and the ability to add overseas coverage on an as-needed basis, i.e. I didn't have to pay for the entire year, only for the duration of the trip. Let us know what you find out there. I'd love to save some money, as long as the coverage is there.

Thanks for the leads! I have called Bill Hudson and will call the others in the morning. One thing that he brought up that was interesting is workman's comp for employees. In California you must provide it for all employees. He asked if I used a sound man and said that even though they are freelance, if I hire them they would be considered my employee about 97% of the time. I wonder if that is true for Texas. I guess I will have to call around on that too.....

Status
Not open for further replies.