linkedin for jobs?

Xchroma

Does anyone here have a profile on linkedin? If so, do you feel like it is good for anything? I'm having a disagreement with someone about whether or not linkedin is useful for video production or news jobs. Has anyone had any success finding work through this site? has it been useful for anything other than being able to find out all kinds of information about someone you hardly know?

Thanks

cyndygreen1

All I can say is when I bid on a gig my linkedin account shows people are looking. Don't know what to make of it beyond that.

BluesCam

Also, I routinely get requests to connect with no messages. I request in my profile, if you want to be in my network, please send a personal message, but that is ignored 95% of the time. It looks like the people trying to connect are looking for work themselves.

cyndygreen1

Also, I routinely get requests to connect with no messages. I request in my profile, if you want to be in my network, please send a personal message, but that is ignored 95% of the time. It looks like the people trying to connect are looking for work themselves.
Yep...my feelings exactly. There's a lotta hungry folks out there hoping you'll toss them a bone.

Icarus112277

Yes and yes.

Linkedin is a great resource. I don't even use a resume anymore- just link to my profile. Most of my work is word of mouth but even so when people see all the people we have in common it makes things easier. I've had people comment on it.

I don't think I've gotten any work directly from LinkedIn, but that's not why I use it. I have reconnected with many colleagues whose names I wouldn't have remembered if they didn't pop up.

Also, by seeing when colleagues have changed jobs I can tell where the work is- when there's a new show or crewer in town. I have gotten work that way because people assume I'm too busy, when that might not always be the case- especially for the right project with the right people.

I can also tell when a company or show is headed south because of the increased LinkedIn activity from their employees.

Anyway, I'm a big fan and have used downtime at work to play around and see how it works for me.

Forgot to mention- there are some companies/individuals that post worthwhile openings on LinkedIn. Nothing has worked out for me yet, but I have 'shared' those updates and hooked some friends up, which pays off eventually. Most of the larger companies I follow don't post anything meaningful.

photoguy603

I've made some good contacts and received good feedback from others in the industry via LinkedIN. But has it actually ever gotten me a job? No.

I keep mine up to date and occasionally post things so people know I'm out there.

Lensmith

I use it as an updated, online resume.
Never a single effort which yields work...but part of a coordinated "package" for people wanting to know more about my abilities and experience.
Getting a job in today's world requires a multiple pronged effort and linkedin is one of several prongs which has ultimately generated work opportunities for me.