Lighting Critique

Todd Rogenthien

They all suck. You suck.

Seriously. Nice work. I like the "Gold" header best. It's the most natural looking and lighting is least noticeable. A big plus in my book.

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

"Wine" - Keylight and backlight look nice. Intensity looks right. I couldn't figure out what was going on with the color in the background though. Did you throw some color on, uhh, whatever the hell that is back there? Either way, I think the background is way too busy.

"Gold" - Background is again too busy. A hair light would help add some separation from the dark background as well.

"Chaden" - Looks like you have conflicting light sources. Hairlight looks warm. Keylight looks a little cooler. And did you set up a kicker on him? Or is that just natural light coming in a window? Either way, that light is even cooler still. And again, I think you need to move the subject away from the background to crush the depth of field.

"Cookie" - Some of the lighting here is better. Use of the cookie was a nice idea, though I think it needed to be more evident. I would have liked to see you throw it all the way across the background. The black hole over her right (our left) shoulder was just begging for a little light. This is also, I think, a good example of when you could employ a technique Nino mentioned in another thread recently. Well, 2 techniques...the first would be to raise your camera. You're not really attempting to frame for the background, so it doesn't appear that you need that upward angle for any particular reason. The second technique would be to raise your keylight. By raising your light and camera, you could, effectively, hide her double chin quite nicely.

"Connors" - DOF looks better here, though I still think you could lose it some more. One thing I would point it, and it's something I got criticized for on here and have since been very cognizant of, is that your subject is looking too far off camera. It's almost a profile shot. But if that's what you were going for, then cool.

Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth. Thanks for sharing!

Tdomi74

Thanks so far!

Here are a few more for your consideration. B-More Finest, thanks for the tips and critique. I've recently starting shooting my inteviews above eye level. Take a look at Tony headshot. After looking though my shots I realize that I need to reposition my interviews a little bit better to crush the background more. Also I use way to much "Hot Pink VH1 look" as for color on the background.

What do you guys suggest to throw up just to give a small tinge of color but not to be distractive?

Attachments