Life cycle of a new camera

dhart

What do you figure is the useful life of a new camera? I just bought an Sony FS7 and I'm looking at 3 years when computing ROI. Thoughts?

Run&Gun

I've heard 2-3 years thrown out now, on a regular basis. But I think it's hard to say… C300 is about 3.5 years old and still going strong. F5/55 was announced late '12 and Sony just released firmware v6 with more promised(i.e: they plan on a long shelf life for this camera). 2700(P2 Vari) was released in 2008 and is my primary ENG camera. Hell, the tape Vari is over a decade old and I still can't shake requests for it.

I think it depends a lot on your market segment. Broadcast/network seems to stick with cameras longer, probably because of the amount of infrastructure they put in place to handle the media/codecs. Networks are NOT light, quick or nimble. They can't turn on a dime and handle the newest, latest and greatest unless it's media and codecs they can already handle. I'm still amazed that one of my clients can't handle MXF files(after 3 years of accepting them with no issues). They also don't like XAVC. In this day and age anyone should be able to handle ANY codec given to them.

Douglas

What do you figure is the useful life of a new camera? I just bought an Sony FS7 and I'm looking at 3 years when computing ROI. Thoughts?
Three years for ROI? You're saying it's only going generate an extra $51/week for you? ($8000 / 156 weeks = $51.28). Surely you are busier than that! :)

dhart

Three years for ROI? You're saying it's only going generate an extra $51/week for you? ($8000 / 156 weeks = $51.28). Surely you are busier than that! :)
Yeah, let's hope so! Actually, I have about $15-K invested in the total package but I see your point. I guess my original question was more about the useful technological life of the camera. Perhaps I could have framed it more eloquently. In other words, will the FS7 be yesterday's news in less than 3 years? Canon waited about 4 years to announce the updated version of the C 300, the C300 Mark II. I guess I'm hoping Sony will have a similar product life cycle. And one hopes there is some residual valve after 3 years. But producers tend to jump on the latest greatest thing when it comes to ordering up camera packages. I just hope they're not clamoring for 6 or 8-K next year :)

Douglas

The thing I see with the F55 and FS7, is what could they possibly change/add in the next generation of cameras that would make me want to upgrade? Just because manufacturers of all products (cars, phones, etc.) like to come out with new versions does not diminish the value of last year's model at all. Even the F3 I sold two years ago would still be serving me well if I hadn't wanted 4K and HFR for my own projects. Clients don't need it.

So I already have 4K, S-LOG, RAW, XAVC, MEPG, HFR up to 240 fps, 4 channels of audio, 14 stops of dynamic range, PL lens mount, etc. So it is hard to imagine what anyone could add to the next generation of cameras that would make me want to upgrade. Maybe a 2/3" 4K camera based on the F800 might get my interest, but that's about all I can think of.

Buying a camera these days is a lot like the advice I've always given about buying a tripod or lights. Don't buy the bare minimum that will just satisfy your current needs, look down the road and see where you might be a couple of years from now. Future proof your purchase, and also be proactive and educate your clients about how your new capabilitied benefit THEM. Don't wait for people to ask for __________, anticipate changes in the industry and sell your client on _________ when you have it and your competition does not. I think the old cliche, "if you build it, they will come" applies more often that people who don't want to invest in new gear tend to admit. If I was still making my living doing corporate video, you can be sure every single one of my clients would be doing 4K today because I'd talk them into it. HD is the new SD!

Tv Shooter

Future proof your purchase, and also be proactive and educate your clients about how your new capabilitied benefit THEM. Don't wait for people to ask for __________, anticipate changes in the industry and sell your client on _________ when you have it and your competition does not.
THIS. Doug gave me this advice a little over a year ago. Next day I bought my F5, which is now a 4K/Pro Res/freakin awesome money machine. Paid off the camera purchase in 6 months, and all my lenses, accessories and such shortly thereafter. I had it a week, sent out some info that I had it, and got a call next day for a shoot with it.

Until that moment, I'd not had one call for an F5/55. Within 3 weeks, calls regularly.

Robin

Agree.. as long as Sony etc go the up grade road,we wont have to buy a new camera every 2/3 years .. unless we want to..

2/3 inch to S35mm sensor has been the big change over the last 2 or 3 years.. I bought my F5 only a little over a year ago.. primarily for corp shoots.. that had gone 99% that way .. I kept my PMW500.. then pushed the F5 for doc/broadcast work too.. and people went with it.. and now anyway a lot of doc shoots are wanting s35mm sensor look.. and at last accepting camera,s other than the C300.. (cant believe they made the MK2 the same !!).. I sold my 500 just in time.. and had a real problem selling my Fujinon 4.5 HD zoom.. couldn't give it away.. seems that ship has already sailed ..

We F5 owners did get lucky with the internal 4 K upgrade.. as that would have been a problem now..as more requests for 4K,has come earlier than I thought..

Starman

I think the ENG cams will still continue working, but I do see a preference towards large sensors. I really do like my Canon C300, but I don't mind still shooting on my HDX900 or HPX370 P2 cameras. Lately, a lot of my shoots have been C300 or P2 if it's news or sports, which is convenient for feed, media transfer, etc. Every once in a while, I still shoot DVCPro tape and I have a Nano Flash as well. I think once 4K is standard, that will all change, but until then, 1080 and 720 will still find use for these older cameras.

Robin

I think the ENG cams will still continue working, but I do see a preference towards large sensors. I really do like my Canon C300, but I don't mind still shooting on my HDX900 or HPX370 P2 cameras. Lately, a lot of my shoots have been C300 or P2 if it's news or sports, which is convenient for feed, media transfer, etc. Every once in a while, I still shoot DVCPro tape and I have a Nano Flash as well. I think once 4K is standard, that will all change, but until then, 1080 and 720 will still find use for these older cameras.
I think thats true of the US only .. which is always quite a few years back camera wise compared to Europe.. due to the size of the market I guess