Left handed camera

Tom Servo

after a self-styled photography expert I knew in college came back with utter crap, she complained that the cameras were all right handed and she only knows how to shoot on a left handed one.

Just for giggles I looked it up - turns out there WAS a left handed camera, but it was a very old film model. I wanna say it was from the 40's or 50's.

pre-set

That's quite the Kung-Fu grip he's got workin' there.

WTF kinda camera is that supposed to be? Looks like a MiniDV in an underwater housing.

amp

Next time you watch "True Lies", notice the left handed camera that one of Arnold's buddies used to videotape the terrorists demands in the high rise in Miami. He later pulls a gun out of a hollow camera and shoots one of the terrorists. So, if you are a terrorist and you demand a tv crew, shoot the camera man (unless it is me) if he has the camera on his left shoulder! ;)

skeyworth

But what if you lost you right arm in a fishing accident???

And they still call you lefty, but you can't shoot no more

freedom

The Arriflex SR 16mm camera has a viewfinder that can be flipped over to left hand operation. You have to buy the left hand grip for it. I believe several other Arri cameras have that feature.
Being able to flip the viewfinder over to the other side came in handy on more than one occasion when the camera was placed in tight quarters.

cameradog

Just for giggles I looked it up - turns out there WAS a left handed camera, but it was a very old film model. I wanna say it was from the 40's or 50's.
The Arri SR line is still being made. They're on the SRIII now.

The Arriflex SR 16mm camera has a viewfinder that can be flipped over to left hand operation. You have to buy the left hand grip for it. I believe several other Arri cameras have that feature.
The Aaton LTR7 also had a swingover eyepiece until Arri sued them for patent infringement and made them stop making it.

freedom

Upon further review; the SR3 will get phased out by the 416 which also has the swingover eyepiece. The 535 & 235 also have the swingover eyepiece.