JVC 890 detachable mic...HELP!!!

RyanD

My station bought the JVC 890's...love the cam BUT I really need to somehow put a detachable shotgun on it (somehow). If anyone out there has any advice please let me know! I'm getting desperate. I'm going through way too many AA batts using my stick mic and my flag is beginning to show some wear due to the increased use as a nat mic. Thanks so much guys.

2gigch1

Looking at a photo of the camera on the internet (I have not seen one in person) I imagine you can create a mic holder similar to what I did on my old DVCPro rig: take a mic clip appropriate for whatever shotgun you want to use, attach to a short post and wrap the post in tape to equal the girth of your current nat sound mic. Remove the current nat mic and place this clip in the holder where the current mic is. Place your shotgun mic in the clip, and run a 'curly' cable into the camera. Apply a velcro strap on the holder around the mic to help hold it in place.

The idea is the larger shotgun is held into the clip with the velcro, but it can be 'ripped' off the camera and used as an impromptu interview mic by you or the reporter. Also if you run into something with your camera there is some 'give' and you are less likely to break the mic or camera.

I used this setup for over a decade at two stations. I hope my verbal description is not too difficult to follow.

RyanD

it was a little difficult...do you have a pic you can throw up??? I guess my biggest question would be how to mount the mic mount where my shotgun mount is? Would the screws match up???

RyanD

I found the Markertek mount that connects to a Panasonic or Sony...I know they're purpose built BUT if I take the mic mount off of my camera then there is two screw holes for the mount. I was wondering if the markertek mount would work in place of that...I just need to know the distance between the screws is so I can see if it will fit in place of my already existing mic mount.

http://www.markertek.com/product/micmnt-1/camera-mounted-mic-holder-fits-sony-panasonic-dvc-pro

Necktie Boy

Just make your own bracket from the hardware store. Use the 1/4 mount on the handle to mount the bracket. I have done that with two cameras. Paint the bracket black. Looks good and works well. I even moved my top light to the side.

2gigch1

If I can find my setup I'll try to show a pic but right now the Baltimore situation is / will be taking my time up for awhile...