Judge Me!

Me personally I thought the the clips on your loop 322 relocation package were too quick and that there were too many clips, I feel on a viewers standpoint it makes you feel like your on a roller coaster or watching a movie with flashbacks.. I also did not understand the logic behind the zoom out and pan to the right! The pan to the right was good but the zoom out was confusing. Also the zoom out on the second package I thought was out of place, other then that I thought it was good.

Another question it seems like the reporters and anchors were really young? The reason I say this is I noticed a couple of things I normally do not see on the air....

indyphotog

The reporters are young....I'm in a small west texas market...I have some reporters who want fast tight edits,
The zoom out and pan...shows where the business are at, in respects to the current ramp..by moving the ramp you wont have immediate access to those businesses.

The zoom out on the Willis Folo pkg...I agree with you..it doesnt make sense to zoom out to reveal the field when the reporter is saying "off the field"...but thats what she wanted...she and i dont get along....she also went back and added a few shots to the package after i handed it over to her. If you notice there are a few "picture" shots that are close up and wobbly...she added those.

I get a little frustrated at times with some of my reporters. They want what they want, and in their head they have shots in mind for the package before we even get there, however, they dont always communicate those needs to me.

What kind of things did you see that you normally dont?

thanks again for watching...i really do appreciate it!

tvwcyj

sometimes I have worked with reporters that want the boring ole just zoom out or pan down standups.. This is where creativity comes in.. A Good example your reporter in the second package.. put her in the stands shoot a good tight good depth shot of her for the first part.. then maybe an extreme wide when she says off the field..

One thing I have learned with small market reporters, as they get older they respect the photographer more.. in time they will see they don't have to think about the shots for the story they can depend on you to get what you need.. With that being said, if your shooting something, let the reporter know, even give them a good track to use with that shot.. The same goes for when your done shooting.. ask.. is there anything specific you need... that will get them thinking visually.

Latin Lens

Okay...not too bad overall...but there is lots of room for improvement. Small markets are a good area to develop your craft and for reporters as well....both of you are learning. And let me tell you that the most important thing both you can do right now is develop teamwork and communication skills. Talking about what the story is about and what angle you are taking really helps you get the shots you want and need and helps the reporter write along the way or write to the video you are getting. Teamwork....its not your story....its not their story....its both of yours story....work together to make it the best it can be.

These stories are very boring, average stories.....and I can tell there wasn't much discussion in the car ride over to develop a gameplan. Why? Because had you done so....these stories could have been better. But you are learning and I understand that....so goes my point that talking with your reporter benefits both of you.

Being a photog means doing work....these pieces show me the bare minimum effort on your part. How? Why? Shot variation. You hunkered down and shot very generic wallpaper video of wide, medium, tight. Just enough. You need to develop a better photog eye. You need to move around and look from all possible angles the shots that may exist...find them....shoot them. You can stimulate the viewers mind by using shot variation to keep them entertained....to keep their mind focused on the story...give them a reason to watch.

If your reporters want faster moving shots....they need to write "faster"....make sure that youre not editing quick shots "just because"...it makes no sense...its useless. Edits need to make sense.....I can offer a more private critque via PM if you want....you are on your way....and you'll make a lot of mistakes....but take it all in stride because we have all been there.

Latin Lens

Again...overall not too bad. Its just a run of mill type story but it needed to be told. With that said...its hard to jazz up water but nats under track will help it....because the sound of water is powerful to ear as well as the eye. The stand up was nifty but you should have reversed the action to reveal the reporter from the water run down the lens....I think it makes more sense that way. Try using some wide interview shots for perspective and variation....stimulate the viewers mind with variation so it keeps them on their toes (mentally) and thus pay attention.

JimmyS.

I again agree with LL. Shot variation is key in these type of stories. If you go back and look at them as a viewer, really... What do you see? Glad to see you remain on the sticks, and your shooting is solid. However, I think you should think about the outcome of the story and possible lines the reporter might write while you are shooting. It will help with the creativity.
I had to go back and watch the relocate story again because the edits at the top were a little too quick and didn't make sense. She said "Shell sped out of the area". The pipes coming out of the ground was good, but I didn't notice until the second time I watched it. The viewer will not watch the story again. See what I'm saying? It has to make sense the first time. The standup in the 'relocate' story could have been so much better. Your location didn't show anyone where you were or why. She mentioned businesses and all I see in your quick pan is a fence, empty field and some building in the distance. Maybe you could've done a two or three part standup. First at the location of the ramp, second sequence at the businesses. And what the heck was that thing hanging off of her ass? You gotta pay attention to those little details. Viewers may not remember the story, but they will remember that thing that was hanging off the reporter's ass. Trust me.
In the coach story... Again solid shooting. The use of your tripod is great, keep that up. but there are times when you need to go shoulder. That is another conversation. In areas to improve... Try not to shoot sit down interviews in a chair or couch where the back of it is higher than the subject. You lose all depth perception. Go ahead and pull a couple of chairs from the kitchen. They won't mind, I promise. They invited you, they will not care if you move their furniture around... Trust me, I've done it a thousand times. Also, make sure the lighting reflects the subject. Your first interview should have been lit and the profile shot was not good. The standup made no sense. There was a few things here... One, why the stick mic? You used a lav in the other standup, why not this one? The snap zoom out was to reveal what, a field? It's obvious you were at the field in the tight shot, plus the fact that you interviewed the coach with the same exact background. Also, the interviews said the exact same thing the reporter said in the standup. The standup wasn't even a bridge, it was just thrown in there. Lastly, I might catch some flack here... but, the standup was not flattering to the reporter. Her hair was all over the place. You have to have the reporter's back the same way they should have yours. Oh... The edit directly after the standup of the reporter and coach walking... Very odd.
You are definately on your way. Keep shooting solid video... And use creativity to the fullest. Don't do things just for the sake of it... Every story has a flow and feel. It's up to you and the reporter to figure out what it is before you shoot a single frame (unless it's breaking news). Everything must make sense. In your stories... there were several things that didn't make sense. Read the script before you start editing. I used to do that every time. No matter the crunch.
I thought the water standup was way cheesy. I mean, how many times do you drive through a neighborhood and see a cute woman in a skirtsiut watering the lawn? I'm glad you went out of your way, but it was definately cheesy.
Lastly... because this is getting long.... Your nats are very harsh. Try blending them so your audio is smoother. Nats of the water, for instance... Start :05 seconds faded in before the video edit. It goes out the same way. One of the fine little details.

Anyway... Keep up the good work. I worked in West Texas around 12 years ago, Midland/Odessa. I know it can be a little slow. But, that is where you earn your stripes. Good luck to you, man.

indyphotog

Thanks JimmyS!

Right now i'm in one of those "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situations. I have two reporters who want fast tight edits, the intro on the ramp relocation story is exactly what the roporter wanted...I agree with you the standup should have been sequenced so that you see the businesses behind her..and more of the ramp for that matter. Good eye on the mic...i didnt really pay any attention too it.

The coach story....I would have preferred to shoot him in a diff setting, but he lost a leg to diabetes and I figured i'd just make it work from where he was.
The stand up, I thought made some sense. The guy was gunned down in Dallas, where he lived for quite some time, so the only spot of reference was the football field? As far as the stick mic...the wind picked up and was whipping around...the stick was the best option for clean audio....I explained to the reporter about the wind and her hair..After i finished editing and she came in to watch...she added the shot of her and the current coach walking off the field...she also added in a shot of a year book pic that was shaking...if you notice all of the other photo's i turned into still frames.

This is part of an ongoing struggle that I have with a few reporters here. They do not trust photogs and they certainly dont communicate what they want until its too late. Being in this small market, we all have about the same amount of experience...i'm sure you know all too well how some reporters can be.

The Water Story...that stand up was cheesy...i had so much fun with that one. It was a dull story, I thought that would "kick it up a notch" It could have been executed better.

I'll work on blending the audio too.
thank you again!