I've gotten mixed reviews

redcoat

That was definitely more creative than a lot of sports features I've seen on the local level. So kudos for the effort and cutting it all together. It must have been difficult editing all those multiple camera angles together.

There are a few issues that stuck out to me. Often times the audio dropped off too abruptly. I think the piece could have benefited from audio dissolves between some of the sots and allowing for the music to slowly ramp down up and down rather than cut on or off immediately. Leaving the music on at a lower level under some of the sots at the beginning would have been useful in maintaining the momentum that was initially established with the music.

It's getting late so I'll just offer one other suggestion. It would have really livened up the highlights if we were able to hear some commentary about the specific plays while they were going on. Like maybe we could have heard from the players about how tense every play was, or how amazing it felt to block the opponents spike or to get an ace.

Lensmith

Please don't take this as harsh comments. Just honesty.

This looked like a story done by an editor. Not a photographer trying to achieve story telling.

I didn't like the wasted time and effort with the pieced together sound bites at the beginning. Digitally zooming into eyes or mouths adds nothing to the storytelling. It's an editing gimmick.

The music was too heavy. You were laying down shots that didn't say anything. They just filled black holes over the music but didn't mesh together to communicate an event or action. There was no sequencing that made sense to me. It was just an excuse to fill time with music...that was, to me, predictable in tone.

I agree with red coat about the abrupt audio. He hit the nail on the head about the transitions.

Frankly, the story is too long. Maybe it would have played better to me if you spread the soundbites out through the story better. They seemed lumped into sections and then the "action" didn't make sense to me. Hard to follow who was playing and what was going on other than a volleyball going back and forth over the net. I didn't know who to root for!

Were you just trying to see how many different pieces of music you could fit into one story. There were too many for me.

This looks more like a team keepsake video than a news story. The Star Wars team roll call at the end...I'm sure they liked seeing each name but as an average viewer...it kind of bored me.

Was this a news story? If not...is this new section of B-Roll going to be an all skate for any kind of video production? Are we going to see wedding videos here? Are we going to see more pieces like this that may or may not have been actually broadcast?

Just wondering.

Frankly this was a product produced by an editor using very average to less than average video.

Work on mixing it up better. Don''t waste time and viewers patience with editing gimmicks going close on eyes and mouths. I'm not a dentist! ;)

bluffton

Understood!

:DMy feelings aren't hurt and I would never be insulted by ones Honest experienced opinion.

:)Your comments are harsh, but constructive and needed. I'm in no way insulted, because unfortunetly for me, sometimes the truth hurts and I'm okay with that.

I appreciate you both taking the time and thought.

-Anthony Mirones

Lensmith

Understood!

:
:)Your comments are harsh, but constructive and needed. I'm in no way insulted, because unfortunetly for me, sometimes the truth hurts and I'm okay with that.

I appreciate you both taking the time and thought.

-Anthony Mirones
I've got to tell you...when I wrote this post in the morning I was rushed...and making some jokes which might have sounded harsher than intended.

I'll try and use the smilies more to soften things a bit in the future just so people don't think I'm some opinionated dick! ;)

NEWSSHOOTER3

Overkill

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but it was "overkill", in my opinion. I know what you were going for, but it was so over done, that I was almost immediately turned off by the "over-drama".

It was shot well enough to carry itself and I wish you would have told me a good story instead of making it a "docudrama", if that makes sense?

Anyway, your effort cannot be denied, so don't let my .02 stop you from doin' what you do! I imagine that you got a lot of "ups" from your station and market?

Lensmith

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, but it was "overkill", in my opinion. I know what you were going for, but it was so over done, that I was almost immediately turned off by the "over-drama".

It was shot well enough to carry itself and I wish you would have told me a good story instead of making it a "docudrama", if that makes sense?

Anyway, your effort cannot be denied, so don't let my .02 stop you from doin' what you do! I imagine that you got a lot of "ups" from your station and market?
OK...I tend to be a blunt individual...just because I hate to waste time. Either mine or other peoples. ;)

Maybe we can all learn to not get too caught up in tone and assumptions about attitude from the simple reading of the printed word.;)

I am a little confused though. I thought this thread and story was posted by bluffton.

Yet your post makes it sound like my comments here were about a story you shot on this thread. Are you writing a response to me here about a story you posted elsewhere that I commented on or...do you post here under more than one name?

Either way...if you don't mind...can you help me keep things straight by responding to me in the threads where I can easily see what comments might have botherd you? As it is...I have no idea what I wrote that caused you concern.

John M.

Was this a news story? If not...is this new section of B-Roll going to be an all skate for any kind of video production? Are we going to see wedding videos here? Are we going to see more pieces like this that may or may not have been actually broadcast?
I'd hate for this section to be restricted to news stories but it would help those wanting to offer feedback if people posting non-news pieces put them in context by explaining what the piece was for and who its audience was.

For instance, for a TV newscast story, I would have judged the music to be way overboard. But if it was a team highlight video, I'm sure team members were thrilled.

If it was a team highlight video (which I surmised from the end credits), I would not have started with a SOT from the other team's coach.

I would have interviewed the players and coaches myself rather than use sound from a podium -- at least from the winning team. I thought that detracted a lot, especially since you likely would have had no trouble getting the girls to do interviews with you.

Absent traditional narration, I would have included either SOTs that detailed the progress of the match (the only clue we got was from one of the coaches mentioning how difficult it was to play from behind against this team), shots of the scoreboard or nats from a PA announcer to help the audience follow the story.

Freddie Mercury

Good: You had some really nice court-level shots of the action and crowd reaction that gave a sense of drama and the excitement of the fans.

Other: It went on too long to keep me interested. The digi-zooms and overly dramatic music really stuck out and made it overblown. The presser sound seemed very impersonal and formal. Was there no way to get more candid one-on-one conversation? The trophy at the end seemed really cheesy, too.

NEWSSHOOTER3

What?

OK...I tend to be a blunt individual...just because I hate to waste time. Either mine or other peoples. ;)

Maybe we can all learn to not get too caught up in tone and assumptions about attitude from the simple reading of the printed word.;)

I am a little confused though. I thought this thread and story was posted by bluffton.

Yet your post makes it sound like my comments here were about a story you shot on this thread. Are you writing a response to me here about a story you posted elsewhere that I commented on or...do you post here under more than one name?

Either way...if you don't mind...can you help me keep things straight by responding to me in the threads where I can easily see what comments might have botherd you? As it is...I have no idea what I wrote that caused you concern.
I have no idea what you mean or why you quoted me, but I stand by what I said and meant no disrespect to anyone... :rolleyes:

Lensmith

I have no idea what you mean or why you quoted me, but I stand by what I said and meant no disrespect to anyone... :rolleyes:
I think I had a brain fart and thought you were writing a response to me when, in fact, you were just helping make this a great place by adding your own thoughts about the story posted on this thread.

You weren't disresectful.

Now, more than ever, I think I was confused. ;)