Interview Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

<Tipster>

What are some tips that could pass along to
people that don't like to talk on camera to make them feel more comfortable and make them sound the best they can.

S

<sapphoto>

There are several things I try to do.

First if you have time...(usually not a luxury)You need to make some small talk to get them comfortable with you.

Second, step from behind the viewfinder.

I tell them I just want to have a conversation with them like I just did in the first step. I tell them that they can just look at me and don't need to worry about the camera. I also tell them that if they mess up they can start over. It's only tape and we can edit it.

Basically make it your goal to make it seem like this is the easiest thing for them to do. Just try to make it a converstation. Don't be a machine asking questions. If you're relaxed they'll probably be more relaxed.

Hope that helps,
sapphoto

R

<russ>

Use the lav, sit down, relax, get comfy. Just talk to who ever you're interviewing while rolling. The longer the interview last the more relaxed the subject will become. You can sneak the key question in a few times by re-wording it and then going off somewhere else for awhile and then coming back to it till you get a good response.

If other folks are around kick'em out if you can cause they'll be a distraction. Folks who make their living by being in control are not going to like the whole interview process cause they aren't picking the questions. Often I will make a fool of myself for these folks by waving my arms about and acting like the camera is so complicated. This will tap into their their empathetic side, if they got one, and make them look a tad bit more human.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Dedline

sounds like your trying to coach a spokesperson or official asking for advice. I would say practice, practice, practice. even with a home video camera. try to forget the camera is there, unless you are reading some statement that requires word for word. Of course the hardest thing is to stop saying "uh" so dont bother telling em that, heh.

The Daywood

If you are coaching spokespeople, the only tip I'd give is to listen to the question and think about the response instead of being caught up in your own agenda.

If you are a photog or reporter, first thing in the room, have the photog put the wireless lav on the subject. By the time its ready to roll, they will forget its on. While the photog is setting up, have the reporter chit chat about anything but the subject of the interview. The reporter and photog should come up with a signal that it is time to start. I often didn't even tell the subject that we had started. The reporter just shifted the questioning into what we wanted. After a couple of on-topic questions where the subject had no clue that I was actually rolling, the reporter would turn to me and tell the subject that we were ready to start. The best results were from those first few questions.

Some may question the ethics of this manuver, but I'm convinced that if a camera is in the room, people should be aware that they can and might be taped. If a photog expressly says that they are not rolling, and then do anyway, that is a different matter.

T

<Tipster>

Yeah I am trying to get a spokesperson to learn how to talk to the media better...any other tips that I could give to her?

T

<Tipster>

Well that is a given PhotoginFL, but other than that little gem of knowledge, what else would you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.