Interstate Emergency Lane Use for Media

prosheditor

Other than being used by emergency crews and civilians with car trouble, when traffic is backed up on an interstate is the emergency lane, left or right side, off limits for media crews to use as access to get closer to an MVA or whatever may be causing the backup? Does this vary from state to state or is it national? Thanks

cyndygreen1

Been years since I was actively involved in the biz, but yes, I used the emergency and shoulder lanes - with and without permission from law enforcement. Never had any issues. California.

satpimp

I think the U.S. DOT mandates non emergency vehicles to off the roadway. The emergency or breakdown lane is for emergency crew access during blockages. You can face hefty fines at least in Florida.

Even when just working along a DOT road We are now mandated (by DOT)to wear reflective vests of a very specific type. The tougher rules are about 4 years old now. It used to be a free for all but they are quite serious now. If you clog the breakdown lane on a congested highway in Florida and a cop, ambulance or fire truck has to tap the brakes once because of you, your gonna have a crappy day.

if it's a real big deal our PIOs will clear us a spot, but ALWAYS off the road. In general I discourage any of our guys working on an active road. If you have driven south of Broward county you will know why.

As Omar said as a general rule don't do it. Some officers/departments may look the other way, but if you are using the emergency lane to cheat around and get closer to a accident you should expect to get popped and flashing your station id will not help you. Also the vests are a concern as well as DOT and I belie OSHA require them now for roadside work.

I would also caviot this by saying that some of that selective enforcement once you get to something also comes down to if they feel you are safe where you are. While I don't chase car accidents anymore I have gotten away with a lot more than other guys in the past by doing things like moving my car off the road and using it in a blocking position while I moved to the front and back off the road and shot. If the officers on the scene feel you are unsafe you will get bounced regardless of the law and I have seen it happen to others who setup in stupid spots while I was left alone.

code20photog

It's illegal. It's done every day, doesn't make it right, and we've gotten more than one IRATE phone call from someone stuck in traffic not happy we're breaking the law.

Our station policy says NO, but I'll *always* put the ball in their court, if we're stuck in traffic and they keep asking for an ETA, I'll ask if I can use the shoulder. They will say no each and every time. Then they stop calling asking for an ETA. Funny how that works.

Weigh the story versus not only the legal risk, but the public image you might be putting out there.

Land Rover

We used it to get close to an accident scene but we would never park in it. We would always pull off the roadway. The biggest thing you had to look out for were truckers that would pull out and try and block you getting past thinking you were just another person on the roadway.