info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trybe One

i want to know how to get a job at NBC network in dallas? how do i work towards that goal?
right place right time? or is it a matter of who you know? i know people use pd150's when they get sent out on jobs. do i need my own gear or what?

adam

I don't want to sound coy, but if you don't already know the answer, your best bet is to work your way up through the local system or freelance your way to the equivalent. There is certainly someone far more equiped to tell you than I. However, I will say this; The network is relying more and more on freelance work, the question you need to ask is "I the Dallas bureau going to have staff shooters in 5 years?" You might be better off working your own rig.

dayrate

posted September 11, 2003 06:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i want to know how to get a job at NBC network in dallas? how do i work towards that goal?
right place right time? or is it a matter of who you know? i know people use pd150's when they get sent out on jobs. do i need my own gear or what?

--------------------
O.F.A. FyA iNc..
"turn down the iris to cut the glare" .Wu-Tang.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 39 | From: 918 | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged |

adam

Member # 78

Member Rated:
posted September 12, 2003 01:32 AM
I don't want to sound coy, but if you don't already know the answer, your best bet is to work your way up through the local system or freelance your way to the equivalent. There is certainly someone far more equiped to tell you than I. However, I will say this; The network is relying more and more on freelance work, the question you need to ask is "I the Dallas bureau going to have staff shooters in 5 years?" You might be better off working your own rig.

How do you get a job anywhere? Who knows? It's different for everyone/every place. But, do your research ...
Adam gave you some good advice. If you really want to work at the NBC bureau in Dallas, be somewhere where they can see your work and get to know you ... become the best you can be, and it would be good if you're the best candidate they have to choose from.
But, I'll repeat... do your homework. The Dallas NBC bureau has no full-time staff photographer. Haven't had in many years. They do have someone on contract that is, in effect, their first call. They are guaranteed a certain # of days work per month. The NBC Dallas bureau owns their own Ikegami V55, I believe, and this contract cameraman uses NBC gear on those shoots. Up until just recently, they did insist that anyone shooting a job booked out of the NBC Dallas bureau, that it be shot on mini-DV. They were a test-bed, of sorts, for NBC company-wide. As I understand, that test just ended after a year or so of trial. (I'll leave my personal feelings out of the equation, here).
I've been freelance for over 10 years, now. It is true that the networks rely somewhat on freelancers for daily coverage, but those shoots are few and far between, from my vantage-point. Everyone is looking for ways to save money (such as using mini-DV for news coverage), but they also rely heavily on their affiliates for footage, hence less work for the freelancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.