info on WKRC

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

<Slosher>

BEWARE of WKRC.

I used to work there. Like many other photogs before and after me, I figured it best to leave.

Good luck getting the gear you need then getting in trouble when your shoot goes bad because you DON'T HAVE the gear you need.

VERY cut-throat mentality among co-workers. I saw a lot of miserable people there.

Truly, I have never been a part of something so sad. Am I bitter? No but I saw the "other side" while I was there and it wasn't pretty. That place educated me, man.

W

<weebster>

Slosher must not have been much of a photog. Although I've worked at 'KRC for some time now, I remember coming here from a shop across town and thought I was in heaven! It is certainly the best photog shop in Cincy. I know some people have been let go but for good reasons: running over their camera, taking the dish off of a live truck while driving over a PEDESTRIAN bridge, etc. Sure, we have our problems but most of the photogs have been here for quite some time . . . 7 years plus. Slosher sounds like a bitter ex-employee.

W

<WHATEVER>

Hey Slosher! How's the wife? Hope all is well there in Nirvana. It seems to all of us that the miserable ones leave and the rest of us continue to come to work and get along with those who want to be gotten along with. To the origional poster. It isn't pefect. But I can tell you every shop has the same problems just at different levels and with different names attached. I won't write too much more because some genius always wants to "translate" what is written. Just know this. We do solid work day in and day out, make a good living, win book after book and have a staff filled with people who have worked here 10, 20+ years. Oh yeah, check the Ohio station of the year results for the past 3 years or so as well as the individual entrants.

I

<It'sallgood>

To the initial poster, pick up the phone, call the newsroom and ask for the photography department. Whoever you get, ask them what they think about the station. I believe whoever you get will tell a different story than Slosher. I'm one of the guys that have been there for almost 7 years. If it sucks then why are people so quick to defend it? I've never been told "No" when I've asked the chief or engineering for something. It may take a month or two but we get it. Our gear is older but that won't be a problem much longer. Right now we are demo'ing Ikegami DVCAM equipment and exploring all of our options before we buy. Some photogs choose to attend the morning and afternoon meetings and play a day to day part in the stories that we cover. Does your station allow you to do that? Do we have our problems, sure what station doesn't. Are we paid well?- Yes. Do I like my job?- Yes. Are the benefits good?- Yes. Do we have some disgruntled employees that have been fired for doing dumb things?- Yes. Oh, and one other note- We are the 2nd place station of the year for Ohio 3 Years running. We employ the 2003 Ohio Photog of the Year. Last year that same photographer also won a Murrow Award. Did I mention we won a National Emmy for our coverage of the Cincinnati Riots? We have the best photojournalists in town, and we kick ass on a daily basis. So in short, I like my job and WKRC.

S

<Slosher>

How loyal of you all to defend your station.

In my original post I intentionally left out that the more senior photogs were cliqueish. I think you guys show that.

"We have our problems."
""It isn't perfect."
Read between the lines.

While you all obviously like it there, my opinion stands. Look at both sides.

Wife???

W

<whamma>

i think everyone in our photog department gets along with one another just fine(thats speaking as a senior photog).The only clique we have is i.b.e.w which makes us one unit. i just want to know who slosher is and where you are now? be man enough to reveal who you are, because i thought i got along with everyone.

W

<weebster>

Slosher, is it perfect where you are now? I doubt it. Let me ask you this: if you wanted to come back to the Tall 12 do you think we would hire you back?

C

<Chillin'>

webster's dictionary:

v. sloshed, slosh·ing, slosh·es
v. tr.
1-To spill or splash (a liquid) copiously or clumsily: slosh paint on the floor.
2-To agitate in a liquid: slosh clothes in a solution of bleach and detergent.

hummm... to spill? maybe there is a clue here.
I focus in on other key words as well. clumsily, to agitate.
To the Florida photog looking at WKRC... if this is the person I am thinking of... he never was a shooter at WKRC.... he was an editor, and I doubt seriously if he would have been given the opportunity to carry our colors!!!
We are lucky to have our shooting staff... they are among the best journalists I've ever worked with.

H

<Hunter>

Our business is like any other. There are highs and lows in every field. Is 'KRC the best station in the world? No. Is it the worst? Far from it. Is it one of the better ones? Absolutely. People here who carry their weight, and don't whine, making life harder on everyone else, are greatly appreciated and do well. The others can gladly go elsewhere. Suggest anyone interested, look at the number of people responding, saying life here is OK. We have the senior staff in town, and the most award winners. People stay here, and return, because they choose to do so. We've lost a number of light weights in the last few years, and we're the better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.