i'm in the market for a new camera

Starman

Greetings folks.

I'm currently still shooting on my HDX900 tape camera with a Nano Flash and I also have a Sony C300.

I am thinking about retiring my HDX900 and maybe moving on to a Sony FS7. I know that the camera has an HD-SDI output and that I could use it for ENG and live shots.

Some of my news clients, as well as corporate are accepting the Sony fS7. I don't see too much of a problem as long as I have time to change lenses if I want to go to a longer focal length.

I'm not sure if I want to own another 2/3 camera if I can get a larger sensor that's better in low light, esp. for ENG at night.

What are the pros/cons in your opinion of shooting on an FS7?

cameragod

Great camera, horrible menu. Bites you in the ass because of some mad setting berried deep in there. Probably OK if you are the only one using it though.
I'd have a hard look at the USA Mini Pro with a B4 mount. I've got a Mini and its fantastic for ENG... the Pro would be even better. The only issue I have is getting the quality down low enough to match the stations cameras.
Then you can go EF lenses etc as you clients need it.

Douglas

Great camera, horrible menu. Bites you in the ass because of some mad setting berried deep in there.
Not if you take advantage of the advanced features the camera offers:

1) Anyone can create their own custom User Menu on the FS7 that will suit their own needs perfectly. It just takes a few minutes.

2) You can create ALL Files that will instantly reset every menu on your camera to your own personal default settings, which is essential if anyone has had their hands on the camera since you used it last.

3) You can hit the Status Button and scroll through about seven pages of information that summarizes nearly all the settings on the camera without looking at individual menus. Makes it quick and easy to check all the settings that might bite you in the ass. Takes about 10 seconds to do a preflight check.

4) The displays in the viewfinder can be customized and turned on and off to suit your preferences. There aren't too many settings on the camera that can bite you in the ass that can't be displayed there.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fs7

https://www.vortexmediastore.com/products/sony-pxw-fs7-field-guide-book-3rd-edition

Last edited:

cameragod

Good point Doug. I usually dry hire with that camera so I don't get to keep my hands on it for long and the clients like to keep the settings consistent to a house style.
For me (and I know this is totally subjective) the FS7 is not a "fun" camera to use. I realize that is probably because I have one for short bursts and never get a chance to be completely comfortable with it.
I've shot some amazing stuff with it and been very happy with the results, just not had as much fun doing it as I like.

That said your point #3 might fix that :)

Last edited:

Douglas

Stephen, your frustration with the FS7 because you don't use it often enough to understand it, is exactly the reason why I won't do a shoot unless it is with my own camera. If a client doesn't want me and my camera, then I always take a pass because I would be in the same situation you're in if I was handed a camera I didn't fully understand. I need to have my own tools to perform at my best.

cameragod

I think you are right Doug. The market I work in means I will never completely stop dry hiring out, I just can't afford not too. But I have to say I love owning the BM URSA Mini. It was a low enough investment that I don't sweat it when I'm using the clients camera. The menus are simple but powerful, the pictures are fantastic, I like the EVF a lot more than the FS7's one and I've started playing with vintage Russian lenses :)

Douglas

It's important to have a camera you actually like, that's for sure. I'd like to get my hands on an Ursa Mini one of these days to see what it can do.

cameragod

I would really love to see you get your hands on a URSA Mini Pro Doug. A lot of the "reviews" are by guys I don't trust having a real background in ENG. I feel like I'm only scratching the surface in what the camera can do.

Douglas

I considered doing a training video for the Ursa but two things stopped me: 1) I think it is perhaps too simple with not enough things to learn about. The picture might look nice, but from everything I've read, the menus, options, features, functions, paint menus, audio settings, shooting modes, etc. are nothing compared to the power of a Sony. 2) Not a big enough pool of owners to make it worth the investment of my time.

cameragod

True Doug BM seem to have made their setup so most of what used to be in camera adjustments happen in post.

tschelle

Setting up your own user menu is very helpful.

You can also set up additional formats to load from an SD card so you can easily switch from DCI, to UHD, to 1080, which is nice for under cranking.

The lens that comes with the kit is not user friendly, but it will get the job done. The servo is very slow, and the focus ring is slow to respond.

You also may want to consider other accessories to make it feel more like a traditional beta cam type camera (battery adapter on the back for some additional weight, after market shoulder pad, after market grip extender/quick release).