If one more person...

code20photog

... asks where our hot weather girl is, wants thier kid on TV, runs behind our live shot, knocks on the van window while we're trying to track, wants us to do a story on how the government has wronged them, waves at the camera, asks us what the "big story" is when we pull up to get lunch, crane thier neck driving on the freeway to see who's in the van... I won't be responsible for my actions. :p

photogguy

...and can you put my kid on TV while he's hanging out the window gawking at the big accident on the freeway? You know, the freeway that the government built badly and hey you should do a story on how the roads aren't built well!

:p

HokiePhotog

How about the people that just randomly show up at the station itself, demanding to see a reporter? I had a guy last week trying to go to the front door of our building while I was going across the street to load in to a live truck, when he sees me and flags me down.

"Hey, are you a reporter? I need to talk to a reporter..." says he...

"No, I'm a photographer. If you have a story idea, call or e-mail the assignment desk and tell (bug) them. If it's a good story, they'll pass it along..." Says I.

"But I'd rather tell you about my government conspiracy story now, it's a long and convoluted story, and we really want it on your station because Oprah is on your station and my mom loves Oprah"

"Seriously man, you need to talk to the desk. I'm kinda in a hurry here, I have a live shot to do in 20 minutes."

"You sure?"

"Absolutely."

Makes me wonder how many of these people our receptionist has to deal with on a daily basis during business hours... Poor girl...

DevinDavis

Since last Monday, we've had some fellow step into our Bureau and hand us a typed note about how he's not voting for Obama and showed me photographs of his house... and then some fellow caught us at the Wendy's, telling us the difference between clean and unclean cows blood... and had photographs and Bible verses to illustrate his point... having a marked truck is conspicuous enough...having a live truck as a daily driver is out of control!

svp

I hate to play devil's advocate here but too many of us miss great stories because we immediately dismiss these people without listening to them first. About 20 or 30% of these people most likely have legitimately good stories that would make for great exclusives but journalist these days don't seem to want to listen. At my old station, people would call all the time with stories. Most of the time, nobody ever took the time to even listen. When I would work the desk, I'd listen to everything they had to say. Most of the time they were just nutjobs but a few times a week you'd get a really great story if you were willing to do the legwork and dig for the story. The problem is that most tv journalist today don't want to do that much work. They just want the quick and easy day turn story. So you guys go ahead and dismiss these people but you're missing out on a few gems by doing it.

DevinDavis

So you guys go ahead and dismiss these people but you're missing out on a few gems by doing it.
No, no.... these two fellow were nutjobs...

I agree on the getting a few stories outta random folks... but not these fellows... whew...

A Step Above Productions

How about when they knock on the live truck asking for free stuff - "Do you have any shirts I can have with your logo?"

Drives me crazy ... but SVP is correct - we need to listen before we say no!

photogguy

About 20 or 30% of these people most likely have legitimately good stories that would make for great exclusives but journalist these days don't seem to want to listen.

My 19 years of experience would lead me to change that number to 5-10%. The others were either crackpots or whiners.

Horonto

If I'm doing a live shot and a bonehead is jumping up and down I don't see what right I have to tell him to stop being a moron.

Sat OP at a sister station yelled/grabbed a guy who was being an oaf in the background after the live shot.
3 weeks there was a posting of a Sat OP position.

Not worth it getting in to it with someone.

Frank McBride

If I'm doing a live shot and a bonehead is jumping up and down I don't see what right I have to tell him to stop being a moron.

Sat OP at a sister station yelled/grabbed a guy who was being an oaf in the background after the live shot.
3 weeks there was a posting of a Sat OP position.

Not worth it getting in to it with someone.
That's when you turn off the monitor and don't tell them when you're going to be live. You sure don't get physical, especially with a camera and microphone right there!

In most cases, the public has as much right as we do to be where we are. It seems kind of hypocritical to go around crying assault when someone grabs the camera lens we are putting in their personal space, but we decide people can't stand in front of that same lens at news time.

As for the list that started this thread off, that's just people acting stupid. People acting stupid is what keeps us in business.

FMc

patssle

Hire a security guard with a taser. That would solve two problems at once: annoying jackass and lack of exciting video.

TexasDave

I was doing a live shot when someone wearing a pig mask jumped behind the reporter waving a tennis raquet and dancing around. Right when the shot was over, my cell rang.

The ND wanted to know what I saw. I said a green pick up pulled up and the dude jumped out. He responded next time that happens, chase them down and put a beating on him! Being a rugby player, I laughed and said I'd take care of it.

A few seconds later, he called back to make sure I knew he was joking. Much to my disappointment, I was looking forward to tackling him!

I will say, it was quite amusing! There was also a mardi gras live shot where a lady lifted her top behind the reporter. Funny. And another time when a reporter tossed to the package, a drunk jumped next to her and started dry-humping her leg. She was petrified! Since I knew we weren't live, I thought it was funny. (also because she was a pain to work with - so I had to chuckle)

Dave.B

Well...welcome to the world of television news. No way you're going to get around any of that. I don't mind people asking questions but I do get really annoyed at the honking horns. I should be allowed to track you down and come into your place of business and blast an air-horn in your ear at any given moment. That one drives me nuts.

code20photog

Sounds like someone wishes for an unmarked truck...
Egad, no. We have a couple unpainted trucks and let me tell you, it's a huge invitation for EVERYONE to come up and ask what station we're from.

I'd say 1 in 10 people who come up to us wanting us to do a story actually pan out with something tangible. That's just us, but that's about our average. We listen every time. I'd say 5 out of the 10 are usually when we're live from the police station, and we may as just put one of those number dispensers outside the van and set up a winding line like at Disneyland. And out of those 5, 4.5 are usually how the police aren't doing what they're supposed to, or the police are being too tough on them or thier family.

I was tempted to do this the other day with some numbnuts walking behind our interview with a police PIO of all people, flashing gang signs, but once I saw a reporter live on the air start after one of these idiots behind her saying "You want to be on TV so bad, come here, come here," and of course they ran away.

Almost forgot the guy who showed up the other night at our van, rambling on about how he knew where they took the dead cows (Doing the beef recall story) asked us if we wanted some weed, actually gave us some Salvia, smoked a half a pack of cigarettes standing at the side door. Then mentioned he lived 100 miles away and was just driving by...

Oh yes.. the horns. I just don't get it, when the average person watches the news every night, how often do we use shots of people honking thier F'ing horns? I agree, if my lotto numbers pan out, I''m going to start driving around to people's places of business, dinner engaements, weddings, funerals, graduations, with a horn off an Union Pacific locomotive and see how they like it.

Canonman

As to idiots honking their horns... they love to do it when they drive by a golf course too. People actually hope to mess somebody up. Sad. And no, I'm not referring to some elite country club, just the municipal courses where folks like me get to play every once in awhile.

cm

HokiePhotog

So you guys go ahead and dismiss these people but you're missing out on a few gems by doing it.
I wasn't completely dismissing him, but rather showing him how to go through the proper channels to get his story to air... That's why I gave him the actual number to the desk as well as the station's e-mail addy... If the Alabama station did indeed pick up the story and it has a local angle, the desk/producers have more time to put things together than I do... But there have been countless times where legitimate nutjobs pitch "story ideas that have no basis in reality...