I want to have my cake and eat it

Brock Samson

After who knows how many hours scouring the interwebs and fiddling with cameras that I have come across, I have yet to find what I am searching for.

Where are you, oh magnificent figment of my imagination?

What I speak of is this: does there exist a camera that is capable of the speed and responsiveness of a good, big ENG camera, which also does good audio, and I can use to stay ahead of great moments in an uncontrolled situation aaaaaaaand......

....intertwined with the capability to produce images on par with the likes of a 5d Mk2, FS100, C300, and the like?

I'll keep this short, but maybe I'm asking too much and realistically need two different cameras for two different situations? If this is the case....what is the most cost effective way of going about this?

cameragod

I think set up right the Cannon C300 comes close, although you will always be a slave to the lens you chose to put on, so getting that right will be important.
Got a two day news shoot coming up with it I'll let you know how it goes...
I'm so excited, honestly you have know idea :)

Lensmith

Just curious CG...are you doing the shoot one man band or do you have a soundie? I think that camera produces some beautiful images but I wondered how one monitored the audio with confidence. Knowing you...that is not an issue, of course! ;)

cameragod

OPC... one person crew. The audio levels show up in the viewfinder but because the pots are on top of the camera there is no easy way to adjust them when the camera is on your shoulder, there might be an assignable pot but there is a lot of stuff for me to do so I think I'll go auto audio when I'm off the sticks.

Last edited:

cameragod

Right full day of run and gun. Shot 2 hours of card???.
I'm exhausted. It was like going back a few years in time. It wasn't the camera that gave me pause but the stuff around it. Little things. The radio mics are not powered from the camera. the iris moves up or down in steps instead of smoothly. Little things. What to carry and what to leave in the car.
I shot most actuality on a wide lens, the iv's on a 50mm.
A bit more tweeking and I think this will work well.
The cannon C300 having your cake and eating it too. :)

cameragod

Day 2 and all the things that bugged me on day one don't bother me now. Finding some rhythm with the camera and really enjoying it. Pictures look phenomenal.
Unexpected problem... I realize I'm spending too much time getting beauty shots. Have to remind myself to shoot sequences for the story and stop giggling over the top of the nat sound at my art shots.
Had the long lens on when the journalist said "quick follow her!"
Thought I was screwed but I dropped a filter and irised right down had enough dof to handle her walking, I just concentrated on staying smooth.
The Lens stabilization is very good. It does just enough.
Overall, set up right, I'm happy to use it in a run and gun situation. Its not as seamless or robust as an ENG camera... but it takes such lovely pictures I think it would be worth it. mmmm.... pretty cake...

Brock Samson

Now I am intrigued!

Ok so now that you've posted this stuff CG, it makes me want that Canon even more. I think I might be landing on a Sony FS100 when it's all said and done, but that Canon makes my little heart go pitter patter.

cameragod

The Cannon is good but to use in a run and gun way... or even doco jstuff a lot depends on the rig you put it in. The Zecutto viewfinder is fantastic but the handles that came with the stinger rig are too long. I get the ergonomics but I want my hands closer to the camera so I can make adjustments quickly.

Lensmith

So...what's the plan for when it rains? ;)

I think it's pretty cool but the set up makes the camera look bulky to me. Limiting where and how fast you can position it for non-off the shoulder or tripod shots.

cameragod

We have a snap plate on the bottom of the Zacutto rig so it just drops onto the tripod. Getting it in and out of the car means rotating the handles up and down but that's ok.
Working on an a wet weather cover that works.

Brock Samson

Does anyone have thoughts on this camera?

Hadn't seen this one yet, but it releases very soon, and I am actually kind of excited. Any thoughts? I am unfamiliar with this sensor.

From the second article below: "the Sony NEX-EA50 is based around an APS-C sized, Exmor APS HD-branded CMOS image sensor with 16 megapixel resolution"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887069-REG/Sony_nex_ea50h_Sony_NEX_EA50_Camcorder_with.html

Here is an announcement article with some tech.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/08/21/sony-announces-e-mount-pro-camcorder-power-zoom-lens-mirroring-memory-stick

Any thoughts?

SimonW

Camera market is too fragmented at the moment IMO. Trouble is that in the eyes of the camera manufacturers if you do ENG then all you need is a small chip camera (including 2/3") and either a handycam or a big shoulder mount.

What they don't seem to realise is that in higher end current affairs, documentary etc it would be rather nice to have a camera that has a large chip, without all the crap that goes with dealing with DSLR lenses.

Yes we have the FS100, FS700, the C300 etc. But what is the biggest pain in the arse about all of them? That's right, the thing that gives you control over the image, the lens.

Either you use a stills lens, which doesn't hold focus through the zoom and only has click stops for iris (which usually has to be controlled on the camera body) or you pay an absolute fortune for a cinezoom. Not cool. Not cool.

marsman

I have been using a gh2 for 9 months now and would not go back to a larger camera for anything. I shoot mostly with a 12 mm lens handheld for everything except interviews. I have slowly started to trust the autofocus and like it a lot. It has a touch screen and you just touch the element you want in focus and the camera does the rest.