I Need Computer Help

photogguy

I have set up a wireless network in my house, and have gotten the second computer to connect, but I can't get it to connect to the internet.

What am I doing wrong?

Baltimore Shooter

I assume you're using a cable or DSL modem. Is the router that connects to the 80211 transceivers also connected to the cable/DSL modem?

Warren

focusthis

** Disclaimer: I don't know this stuff, but I've been lost here before. **

Might be in the IP address settings. I think when you go through a router, you have to manually set these.

Canonman

You have to make sure you're set up to use NAT (network address translation). Your internet provider will only allow one IP address to appear on their network at a time.

Your router has to be set up also for DHCP and it will automatically hand out IP addresses to the devices in your home, but will only present itself as a single IP address to the DSL modem.

The base station/router documentation should have some diagrams and settings for you to follow.

cm

rocky1138

just covering the bases... but do you have a Cable / DSL router?

something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833156001

I was able to split my cable internet up to 3 computers in under 20min once I plugged my cable modem into a similar router & follwed the directions that came w/ the router.

-another way to do it-
a couple years ago I had WIFI at my apartment, I bought a USB wireless network card & plugged that into my computer, then set up my computer to "share the internet" from my network card to the local router

as long as that computer was on & the crappy WIFI was working (/bout 75% of the time), I had up to 4 more computers online through a normal router
---

good luck setting things up. Two biggest things to remember are: 1-Restarting solves 90% of all problems. & 2-When problem searching / solving, use a process of elmination to find where the issue is.

(Check cables. Check modem is connecting to network. Check to see if 1 computer can get online. baby step etc. etc. etc.)