I Need A New Light Kit Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-stop

If I ask my chief to pick up the check on a new case I'm sure he will, but I'm kind of picking my battles so to speak, and waiting till I need something spendy. Bottom line is this will be coming out of my pocket so I'm talking low cost. First off, I don't want a baseball or hockey bag or the like. I'd like to have something padded and maybe some dividers and pockets on the inside or outside. Here is a list of what I need (bare minumum) to put in it.

3 Stands 28" long
2or3 Omni lights
1 Pro light with speed ring
2 Umbrellas
1 Chamera extra small
4 Barn doors for above lights
4 Power cords for above lights (not extension)
2 Dimmers
misc Gels and Frames
misc Spare Bulbs

I'm not even tempted to look at the porta brace page$$$$$$$ :eek: . Have you found a nice but chiep case that you don't know how you got by without it?

R

<russ>

Lowell hard case for the three omni's, small carry bag for the chimera set up. You'll be using the chimera for one light set-ups, and the omni's for muli light set ups. Best to keep the three least used lights in a sturdy case and the chimera in an easy to carry bag so you can hand it to the reporter. By the way, I wouldn't go with three omni's, I'd get a couple of pro's - or at least one - we're in the digital age after all.

Terry E. Toller

russ is right! If you have everything in one bag, it will be very heavy and akward. the temptation is that when you are going upstairs to do an office interview and you know you will only need two lights, you take them out of the bag and carry them in your hand.

When you set up a bag, think of how you will be using what you put into it. It is a good idea to have more than one bag for different setups. My light kit consists of five bags. One is just grip and regulator stuff. I don't always need the items in that bag so why carry it around?

shooter k

Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
My light kit consists of five bags. One is just grip and regulator stuff. I don't always need the items in that bag so why carry it around?
So that poses the question what's in YOUR wallet ...I mean... bag???

Terry E. Toller

WoW! Too much to list it all but in a nutshell:

I have two sets of three lights with lamps ranging from 50 watts to 250 watts.
A couple of broad lights with 500 watts each, I rarely use them.
One kit has three fresnel lights with 250 watt lamps.
I also carry 39X72 inch photoflex frames with translucent screens and reflectors.
Light stands and two booms with weights.
A bag of grip equipment.
A bag with scrims, flags and other light regulators such as gels, including dimmers.

I also carry a set of three lights that are 12 volts for breaking news.

Of course, I carry sandbags. But as I often do, I made them. I used 00 buckshot! Same weight but takes up less space.

The one thing I don't carry because I don't own any are HMIs. But when needed, I rent them.

?

<??????>

We have never used the cases that came with our vinten tripods for the tripod and found they make for a good slightly padded light kit for run and gun

Our CP designed a bag and had a company in SALT LAKE CITY sew them out of cordura, (the same material Portabrace uses) and they work well. About thirty six inches long, and about 12" high and 12" deep. Four adjustable compartments for lights, filters, barn doors etc., one long compartment for stands, and additional external pockets for umbrellas. They are padded, fairly light-weight, and carry everything we need. If I had a digital camera I would paste a photo here.

You can email him at <bcortez@koin.com> for the name of the firm in SLC.

mknisely

<F-stop> the best thing out there is the KATA Multilong-1

I got 4 ARRI fresnel lights [(2) 150W, (1) 300W, and (1) 650w] crammed into my case and still have room along with the 2 chimera's, chimera window, 6 stands, dimmers and tons of other stuff. Plus it comes with a trolly!

Check it out, I would never go back to portabrace after this thing.

kfatica

F-Stop,

I agree with "dinosaur" regarding Versa-Flex. The company is located here in Cleveland and the hands-on owner, Larry Nolan, is an idea guy who loads film for NFL Films.

I buy many things from Larry, including shot bags (for weighing-down light stands), cases, bags and even i.d. holders. I was just at his shop Friday picking up my new hi-visibility 8 lb. shot bags when he showed me some new case designs he was working on.

Visit his website: www.versa-flex.com to see a few of his products. But you'd best be served by calling him directly. He has a lot of things not posted on his website and can make anything you can dream up or need. I know there is a toll-free number which I don't have handy at the moment, but try calling (216) 631-0666 and ask for Larry.

And, yes, you can tell him I sent you!

Good luck!

All the best,
Kim Fatica, D.P.
WKYC, Cleveland

L

<larry@versa-flex.com>

To: Dinasaur

The MUR1842 Rolling case, like all my cases is steel reinforced platic shell. I only use US made Cordura Nylon, NOT ballistic nylon, The wheels on my cases are 5.25 " for rough terrain dia and are removable. I also manufacture rain covers, tripod bags and a sound harness. I will make whatever you need. Give me a call @ 1-800-837-7235 (1-800-VERSAFL)

Thanks
Larry Nolan
President
Versa-Flex,Inc.

J

<justaphotographer>

I use an OVERSIZED baseball bat bag. It holds two pro lights (attached to the Matthews stands - best stands ever for the money) one medium sized Lowell Rifa light, 25 ft. extension, 50 ft. extension, a/c splitter, hard wired lav and extra lamps. It is a little heavy but if all I need for a quickie is the Rifa, I just grab it as it has its own bag that can hold the light, stand and a/c cord. A regular bat bag is too small for all of this. I got it from a big athletic supply store and it cost about fifty bucks. I'm sure it would be useless for air travel.

S

<sooner>

A miller tripod case works well for a basic kit. You can't fit all the bells and whistles in it but for day to day use it works great. The soft case that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.