How often are you requested to carry Workmans Comp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecam147

In the last year I have been dogged with this question from several clients. Do you have Workmans Comp ? Unfortunately I'd rather spend my money on something other than another pile of insurance because it aint cheap but it keeps rearing its ugly head. Sometimes its work through an agency that also does payroll (figures) but other times its direct clients who now have a great big pile of paperwork to work around it or make it a requirement. Different states have different rules but I'm told that the Federal Govt is scrutinizing 1099 emloyees to make sure that workmans comp is included. Anyone else run into this Pandoras Box. I get a different story no matter who I talk to from insurance agents to clients, anybody else run into this ?

HDTV

I get about a dozen inquiries about workers comp each year, and it's becoming more common.

Many clients, particularly "one-timers," are insisting that crews provide their own insurance...and are passing on crews who don't.

I carry a workers comp policy that covers me and my subcontractors, although I would prefer my subs carried their own insurance.

It costs me about $900 per year.

I can see the client's point of view. If I hire someone to work on my house, I insist they have their own workers comp and liability insurance. If they don't have it, they don't get the job (I can't afford the risk).

I would expect a full-time employer to provide workers comp, but I don't think that you can expect someone who hires you one time (or even 100 times) per year to provide coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.