Help me decide: adobe, avid or FCP?

I'm going to purchase a basic editing suite for my office and am deciding between Adobe, FCP or Avid. I've read some of the prior threads and they're making my head spin a little.

Right now, the top choice is Adobe because I think it might work better with the rest of the office (customer service, support, pc, compatibility with existing adobe applications in the building, like photoshop), however I could be convinced to go the FCP or Avid route.

Please take a sec and rank the three in order of preference and if possible, explain why, based on user-friendliness, editing capabilities and general preference and acceptance in the industry (probably will have outside editors coming in on a freelance basis).

Thanks for any advice!

Chugach3DGuy

What are your main projects going to be? TV commercials? Motion graphics? Long form or feature-length film? Training videos? News?

I love my Adobe suite because it does what I need it to do, the different programs work very well with each other, and its easy to use. I do quite a bit with TV commercials, 3D animation/3ds max, and motion graphics, so I find Premiere Pro and After Effects to be my killer combo. I think Photoshop is an indispensable tool that every editor should have just because it can save your neck in a pinch if you have to clean up a logo or touch up a photo or still frame. Adobe's Media Encoder and Encore programs are simple and straightforward, so you can output to all kinds of compressed files or DVDs, respectively. If you're doing things in HD, Adobe supports Blu-Ray authoring. I don't care too much for Soundbooth, but from what I hear, the CS4 version should be better.

I also use Final Cut Studio 2 at the office. Personally, I'm beginning to enjoy editing long form material with it, but I can't stand trying to do simple things with text in Final Cut. So while I like it for big projects like feature-length films, I don't like it for small TV commercials and other simple stuff. In some ways, its similar to Premiere Pro, but the keyboard shortcuts are just different enough to make you want to pull out your hair until you get used to it. Also, I find that Compressor can be a very finicky and non-intuitive program. I've had several renders fail, and it never gives me a reason. If there's one thing I can't stand, its when something isn't working and I get no clues as to why its not working. All that aside though, if you're more familiar with Macs, you might be more comfortable with Final Cut Studio. It's less expensive than Adobe's Suite, but if you end up buying Photoshop to go along with it, the prices will equalize. If you're doing things in HD though, Final Cut Studio does NOT support Blu-Ray authoring. They might start supporting it in the next version, but I think it's still under debate. There are several people here that really like using Final Cut, so if you're looking for more positive reviews, people like Alaska CameraDude and AlexLucas might be able to chime in. They both have a lot more experience with FCP than I do as well, so they can probably offer a few tips and things if you go that way.

As for Avid, I don't have much experience at all with it. I hear its an industry standard, but frankly, I didn't even know of its existence until I had been working in video production for more than a year! A lot of people swear by it and say its the only way to go for video editing. Me? I downloaded a copy of Media Composer to try and learn it, but the program makes no sense to me. Things in FCP and Premiere that take one click of the mouse take multiple clicks or hotkeys combined with mouse clicks in Avid. I find the whole interface counter-intuitive and incredibly confusing. Also, Avid is the most finicky and selective when it comes to running on your computer. You need to make sure that your machine meets Avid's SPECIFIC requirements, or you'll run into problems. Also, I think its the most expensive option out of the three, with its Media Composer package running around $2500. Last I heard though, Avid was making changes to its software lineup and was going to discontinue one or two titles while bringing its Media Composer title down into more of a mainstream price bracket. I think if you're familiar and comfortable with Avid more than the previous packages, it would be a fine choice for you. I know Grip here knows his way around Avid, so he might be able to describe its attributes better than I can.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Alaska cameradude

I love FCP, but I also really like Adobe's software. I am seriously considering
getting CS4, because as Chugach3Dguy says, Adobe has some strengths in
other areas from FCP. But really they are both great, great values for the money,
especially when you consider what you would have needed to do this kind of thing
a few years ago. I think that if you are more familiar with PC's you might want to
go Adobe, but really, I think you can't go wrong any way you choose to go.

Horonto

Avid at work Final Cut at home.
Both have their plus and minuses but if I had to choose it would be FC for my needs.
Yours requirements may be different. Don't get locked into analysis paralysis. Most reputable suppliers will you take each for a test drive. I have a supplier lend me a Mac for 2 weeks so I could try Final Cut.

Sore Shoulder

I love how Adobe ties all the Adobe elements together (Primer Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, etc..).
As with all systems you'll find things you like better in another program better. But I find Adobe a good system. And if you're PC based you should go this route.

TexasDave

I just went through this debate over a year ago, and I went FCP. I had an AVID background, but I decided to make the switch. I love it. No regrets.

amp

I just went through this debate over a year ago, and I went FCP. I had an AVID background, but I decided to make the switch. I love it. No regrets.
Dittos with TexasDave. FCP is great. Avid is good at work, if you have a tech guy who can work out the bugs when you hit a wall. It's been so long since I played with Adobe.

Adobe vs. FCP

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

At this point, Avid is definitely out, and I'm still deciding between Adobe and FCP.

For those who have asked what I'll be doing--that will be up to the system's capabilities and ease of use. Everything from basic interviews and news style packages to corporate commercials, etc, with the possibility of some longer length promotional pieces and documentary style productions. I will also be posting some quick and easy edits daily on a you-tube style site.

Although our entire office is PC based, I'm hearing from quite a few people that FCP is the way to go because MAC is "the standard in the video industry and not too many people even have Adobe Premiere anymore".

Is working on a MAC apart from the rest of the building really going to be a huge mess? What happens when I need to get graphics in from our designers to use on a project? Will the conversion from Adobe to FCP cause a big headache every single time?

I'll also be working with some of the local production houses on occasion, and they're telling me that FCP is the sure bet because it will allow me to interface with them much more easily.

As for the pricing, it's looking like FCP will run me $1k more than Adobe and I'm told the video card wouldn't be quite as good if we went the FCP route (I'm guessing that's a cost issue).

Any additional thoughts?

Chugach3DGuy

For those who have asked what I'll be doing--that will be up to the system's capabilities and ease of use. Everything from basic interviews and news style packages to corporate commercials, etc, with the possibility of some longer length promotional pieces and documentary style productions. I will also be posting some quick and easy edits daily on a you-tube style site.
If this is the case I think you'll have the easiest time in Adobe. I'm biased towards Adobe, but I've been using it for years and I have yet to find a shortcoming.

Although our entire office is PC based, I'm hearing from quite a few people that FCP is the way to go because MAC is "the standard in the video industry and not too many people even have Adobe Premiere anymore".
I've heard people say this too, and they're flat out wrong. Adobe is used in many production houses all over the place. If anything, its gaining ground. And until Apple starts offering Blu-Ray support, I think Adobe will continue to gain users. In fact, I find Adobe's Suite to be extremely prevalent up here in my area. One thing to watch out for: Fanboys. There will always be someone who scoffs at your decision to buy whatever title because its not what they use and they have a compensation complex. We use both Pcs and Macs in our office, and for the most part, we can transfer material between machines without problems. However, we also use Adobe products, and I personally find it easier to keep everything in Adobe unless its absolutely necessary to bring it into FCP.

I think its best to make a decision based on YOUR needs and what YOU'RE familiar with. I've known a couple people to rush out and buy a computer and software because "OMG THIS IS WHAT THE ONE GUY WHO DOES WEDDINGS ON THE WEEKENDS SAID I HAVE TO GET!" only to find that they can't stand it because they didn't know about X or they can't handle the learning curve.

Is working on a MAC apart from the rest of the building really going to be a huge mess? What happens when I need to get graphics in from our designers to use on a project? Will the conversion from Adobe to FCP cause a big headache every single time?
Macs and PCs can talk to each other just fine over a network, so I don't think you'll have a problem there. Macs don't support the NTFS file structure system, so don't go thinking you can use a Windows formatted external drive to transfer files. However, someone posted in another thread about some software you can buy to circumvent that problem.

I'll also be working with some of the local production houses on occasion, and they're telling me that FCP is the sure bet because it will allow me to interface with them much more easily.
I guess it depends on what you'll be doing with those production houses. I've supplied motion graphics built in AE to production houses running FCS, and I've never had a problem. However, if you're going to be shuttling project files back and forth, you might end up having to go with Final Cut.

As for the pricing, it's looking like FCP will run me $1k more than Adobe and I'm told the video card wouldn't be quite as good if we went the FCP route (I'm guessing that's a cost issue).

Any additional thoughts?
How is FCP going to be more expensive? I see FCS running for $1300 or so, and Adobe's Production Suite going for $1700. What kind of video card are you looking at? I wouldn't go all wild with a 5x00 series Quadro card or anything like that, but an entry-level professional grade card should do you fine to start with. It depends on what you're doing. You'll probably want a beefier video card if you're doing lots of motion graphics, but if not, your video card choice won't need to be as high on the ladder of importance.

Additional thoughts- I'll just re-iterate: Don't let someone else make the decision for you based on fluff statements. Look at the big picture and determine your needs based on budget, familiarity, and workflow (internally and externally).

Hope this helps!

C-3Dguy

Thanks for taking the time to reply again--you give some really thoughtful replies to many of the posts on here and I know I'm not the only one who appreciates it!

BTW... I didn't notice until today, but is your photo kind of a halloween-ish concoction of you feigning bleeding from the ear?!

Chugach3DGuy

No problem! Always glad to help out where I can. As far as my avatar, I figured it was a humorous attempt to visualize my mental state after dealing with ridiculous clients, mindless bosses and managers, and the fact that I have better gear at home than in the office!

- and yes, I'm stabbing myself in the ear- with a medium tipped Sharpie marker.

Not for real real. Just for play play.

Alaska cameradude

I'm going to jump in one more time and make a ridiculous suggestion. Get both.
Seriously, if you can swing it. That's what I'm doing. FCP IS used by a TON of
people now, and knowing it CAN help you get work. But Adobe products (I find
that it may be true that Premiere isn't used that much, BUT After Effects and
Photoshop are used by EVERYONE, and Encore is the ONLY way to make Blu-Ray
on a Mac). So guess what, the more you know, the better your chances of
making money. Of course if you can't afford it and already have a PC,
then just go with Adobe and you will be fine. I am just of the opinion that
knowing both of them is a HUGE edge.

As for the avatar.....I'm going to make a wild guess that Chugach3DGuy made that
while working for a 'fine' station ....one which shall remain nameless to
'protect the guilty'.....maybe I'm wrong, that's just my guess :=)