Help / Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

<Luis>

Hi, I'd like to be a TV News cameraman, what shoul I do?

1.Can I just take an ENG course in Sony Training Institute.?, and that's it?

2.any advice...?

3.what salary for start should I spect?
4.Do I need perfect english :confused:

P

<Pedro>

You probably need more than one course. If you can afford to, try to get an internship with one of the local stations. Work your butt off learning all you can. If you get offered a job, you may have to start out as an editor, then try to convince them to let you shoot a couple simple vo's.

You'll probably start out in a small market, although nowadays, it seems the medium and larger markets are hiring kids with little or no experience. :rolleyes:

Don't expect much pay to start off.

What do you speak fluently? Spanish? If you live in California or anywhere in the Southwest US, your chances are much greater than say Boston.

R

<russ>

Heck, some reporters don't even have perfect english. Just don't stop trying to improve your english.

Try doing community college, just a semester or two, and through your school get an internship. It might be with a city access channel, a church, or what-ever. The important thing is once you get into a business establishment which uses cameras - learn everything you can. After that just start sending tapes and making phone calls.

One other thing. When they call you back - show up and then be prepared to stay for EVER. Make them kick you out at the end of the day. Then write thank you letters to everyone.

Good luck.

L

<Luis>

:) Thank you for your comments. I forgot to tell you, I studied journalism in Colombia, I've been doing some (very little) independent projects, writing and research, and almost nothing fot TV...but when I did (1 time)to cover guerrilla warfare was with panasonic AG-456.
In Colombia,- and maybe a lot of 3 world countries-the correspondents outside big cities work with this equipment, only the main cities work the same technology that US with NLE too...
So because I know I need a lot of english yet before applying to some paper or so,with total confidence,I was thinking to get into the market as a shooter,I'm thinking in doing some courses in sony training, the ENG camera sounds good among the others, even an AVID Media Composer in FMC Miami.
one problem I'm facing right now is (besides good english) is that in Colombia I studied 3 years college, it was a "techincal-professional in journalism", and the tv stations are looking for 'bachelor's degree' 4 years...wich I don't have, so I've been looking for salaries and it seems that getting in college once again, transfering credits will put me to study 3 years more (does it worth it?)...and I see the salaries for photographers and editors are almost the same and in some cases are superior to reporter's, kind of disapponitment, isn't?

I'd like to cover wars, big wars, big events, or discovery channel, frontline, sort of...

anyway thank you for reading my thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.