Helicopter Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

<Fly Guy>

WWBT.

We have a mounted camera that the pilot operates. No need to fly, but anybody can if needed.

D

<do you need that?>

I like the part about flying where the piolet looks at you...then at the gear...then at you and says, "How much does all that weigh? And is there anything that we can leave behind?" Thats comforting.

Shaky & Blue

Vomit bags are fine for their purpose, but I kinda like things to enter and leave the right directions if at all possible.

aussie

aussie....you think that's the old way? we shoot from the chopper by taking the passenger side door off and shooting off the shoulder...no gyros, nuthin...just good old shoulder shootin'. hazard pay? no thanks, i'm full. really wouldn't bother me that much if it weren't for the fact that there's nothing between you and certain death but a seatbelt.
Crikey no Gryo ! I hope the pilot comes down to 50ft ;)
Mate I wont fly without a quick release safety harness , seatbelts are too easy to undo

David R. Busse

Originally posted by aussie:
Mate I wont fly without a quick release safety harness , seatbelts are too easy to undo
In pre-Wescam/Flir days, I did a lot of shooting in a lot of different helicopters (Hughes 500 and JetRangers mostly) hand-held.

I, too, have a great distrust of seat belts. I also don't trust seat cushions on JetRangers when the door is off.

I had a company called Thornton Technologies in carlsbad, Calif., build me a quick-release harness. It adds great stability to your shooting, releases in about three seconds and anchors to hard points in the helicopter. Best money I ever spent, tho it sits in my gear locker right now...

McColl

KVBC Las Vegas here...

We lease a Hughes 500 and shoot with a side-mounted FLIR system... which I much prefer to hanging out the back. All of our photographers are trained on helicopter safety... but no need for the HUET course out here in the desert. Our traffic reporter does the bulk of the photography, and he's actually very good at it. The smaller and lighter photographers tend to get more opportunities to fly in the 500.

David R. Busse

Originally posted by McColl:
KVBC Las Vegas here...

We lease a Hughes 500 and shoot with a side-mounted FLIR system... which I much prefer to hanging out the back. All of our photographers are trained on helicopter safety... but no need for the HUET course out here in the desert. Our traffic reporter does the bulk of the photography, and he's actually very good at it. The smaller and lighter photographers tend to get more opportunities to fly in the 500.
It may not sound romantic to you, but that particular Hughes 500C that you fly in was the exact helicopter my wife was shooting from 23 years ago this November when I first laid eyes on her...I've told Mike Dreesman I wanna buy it when he's finished flying it....

E

<extvtog>

Do you all at KTUL in Tulsa still have to shoot out the door and also put the microwave antenae on the skid? Is there still talk of getting a flir? Does Larry still take you up?

kfatica

Originally posted by NEWS_HAWK:
Kim I think you have the reason starring you in the face why yoru station will not allow any of you to fly.
Yeah, that Robinson sure was cramped and hot. Quick, yes, but I also did not like they way the gimbel was mounted against the body of the chopper. That seemed to amplify the helicopter's vibrations on tape, especially shooting almost directly below. My former assistant ND at that station was such an idiot. He would yell at me for not keeping the camera steady! :rolleyes:

I used to drool over the Astar and Jet Ranger flown by the other stations in town. Now, when the video isn't up to par from our chopper, I just say, "ya get what ya pay for."

Best,
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.