HDX900 vs. P2 for news

Starman

Recently when covering the "Super Bola" here in Dallas, I have been using my HPX370 P2 camera, this is my primary go to when covering the latest scoop or sports press conference. It's easy to play out, since I just press play and it plays back all clips without stopping for satellite uplinks. However, I have been toying with the idea of using my HDX900 wit nano Flash, since it has the option of playout of all clips in a loop, so I could essentially do the same thing with this camera, plus I would have 2/3" chips instead of 1/3", and two filter wheels. Do any of you see this shallower depth of field and better low light capabilities as advantageous? I guess the only trade off is more weight and higher battery consumption. All other things are basically equal, both cameras have really nice glass with extenders.

Which camera would you choose any why?

Necktie Boy

It depends....

At least in my neck in the woods, news stringer use 1/3 chip cameras. The freelancers use 2/3 chip cameras. The 2/3 chip should produce a better picture, but you do have to remember that the 900 has 720p chips while the 370 has 1080 chips. The camera up rez'es to 1080. It's the workhorse for ESPN. Correct me if that has changed. Nice picture.

My buddy freelances for the local television station. The station uses JVC 700 cameras. He uses a Sony PMW-350. The Sony blows the JVC out of the water. Much better picture and less noise. You do have to remember that the PMW-350 is a 2/3 CMOS which are 1080 chips. The JVC's are only 720p.

What is the requirements of the clients? What do they ask? If this is for the local news, the 370 should be okay since the chain of broadcast is pretty much directly to air.

If the clients is happy with what they see with the 370, why change? Sure, the 900 will be better in low light, but is it worth the trouble to add an external recorder? I believe you still have to run tape to trigger the NanoFlash? Someone will correct me. If not, you have to hit the start/stop button on the Nano or get the remote start cable.

If you are shooting sports, lighting is pretty good. And for the interviews, an on-camera light should be fine.

It depends if you are willing to deal with a dual recording:? Having to use different media? Having to mount, power, and run a cable? More to go wrong out in the field.

Run&Gun

It depends....

At least in my neck in the woods, news stringer use 1/3 chip cameras. The freelancers use 2/3 chip cameras. The 2/3 chip should produce a better picture, but you do have to remember that the 900 has 720p chips while the 370 has 1080 chips. The camera up rez'es to 1080. It's the workhorse for ESPN. Correct me if that has changed. Nice picture.
I would say, probably. The tape VariCam started out as their HD camera, but one or two well placed shooters pushed very hard for the 900 to be accepted because it got them 80%-90% of the way to a VariCam for roughly half the price. Then after that, most of those that hadn't made the HD plunge yet went with the 900, and from a business perspective, it made great sense. Someone with a $20-$25K HDX makes the same day rate as someone else with a $45K Vari.

Now it's even more open. Several years ago in certain divisions/sports we went P2, so I push to use my 2700 whenever I can. But I still can't escape tape. They still like it for certain things. I've probably used my tape camera more in the last three to four months than in the last 18-24 months. I've even offered up one of my P2 decks(the little two slot "clamshell") for free for PB/ingest on MNF and a few other times just so I don't have to shoot with my tape camera. And throw into the mix the producers cameras and there is a lot of content on air from 1/3" mini cams, too.

And that's not even getting into the feature side with all the variations of s35 cameras.

My biggest gripe with the 900 is that it uses a different(smaller) tape than the Vari and there have been times where a producer shows up with the wrong tapes. And its a pain at times to have to juggle and keep track of two kinds of tapes when you're shooting with a Vari and 900 on the same shoot. If the situation arises and you need another tape, you can just turn to the other guy and borrow one. Every now and again it can benefit you, though. I shot for a buddy a few months ago and he has a 900 and the producer shows up with Vari tapes. My buddy was able to scrounge together enough of his personal stock so that we could get the shoot done(40+ interviews), thankfully and at the end the producer didn't want to lug two boxes of un-shot Vari tapes PLUS the shot HDX tapes back on the plane, so I ended up with two boxes of free tapes for my Vari. But I then had to lug them on my plane ride home that night. Small price to pay, I guess...

Starman

I have found out a useful workflow for myself: If I am doing more run-and gun spot news, i.e. press conferences, spot news, need to feed clips selectively, pressed for time, etc. I will always use P2. If I am doing just live shots, or sit down interviews, and have more time for set up, etc, I will go with the HDX900, this is a pretty good solution, and it works really well.

Tv Shooter

You do not have to run tape with the Nano on HDx900. Nanoflash.net sells a cable that will allow the lens to trigger the Nano. Works perfectly, have not had any issues at all.

Last edited:

acton

Tv Shooter, would you know if the same applies to the Atomos Samurai or is strictly the Nanoflash?

Starman

Atomos Samurai is pretty good with the HDX900. I also have the Nano flash and Ninja. Only thing is if I have to feed from an Atomos, I haven't found a way to "loop play" all clips on the thing for a playout, but I can do this for each card on the Nano for satellite feeds for news, but for this kind of stuff, I usually just use my HPX370 P2 camera. So far, none of the networks, including MSNBC or FOX Newschannel have complained that I am using a 1/3" chip camera. I have the best 1/3 inch lens possible for it, and I can get shallow DOF using the ND filter. And if they want the 2/3", I have the HDX900, which is what I would probably use if just sitting around doing live shots or sit down interviews.

JTFC

Thought I would share this.

NBC News is migrating form the Sony F900/r to Panasonic AJPX5000 P2 cameras. Roll out to staff shooters and bureaus should start within the month.

These cameras shoot full size P2 as well as the less expensive Micro P2.

I think NBC is the only network still showing tape.