Hands on Michiana-Becca

KFobe02

http://vimeo.com/26669060

Hosted on Vimeo

So this is my second Hands-on michiana package I have shot with our morning anchor. I didn't post the first one because I thought it was kind of boring, now watching this one again I feel like I may have tried to hard and went to crazy with it. I just can't stand having something with ****ty pacing.

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:

Latin Lens

There is some definite improvement I noticed here in this story...but there are some very glaring mistakes which has me scratching my head. First off...I can tell you're trying to utitilze some more fast nat pops to pepper into the track...nice. Good job jazzing up the map gfxs but poor choice using the moving video when you had good pics...keep it consistent so it doesn't look weird...maintain consistency. The stills worked better in my opinion. Rebecca's interview was blue and that was a bad mic-ing job....this is where I am scratching my head. The back end got a little boring because there was a lot of b-roll of her with the kids in the circle...no quick nat pops which goes back to consistency...I think you need to work on transitions more...getting us from one place to another or morning to afternoon. Reporter helps with writing but you need to visually find transitions or use nat pops and cleaver editing. Doing so well...but just be careful...don't try too much too soon because then the basics will suffer (Rebecca's intv) and it will taint the whole story. Nice effort.

KFobe02

Yeah i knew I should have color corrected a bit more... The reporter miced her and told me not to bother with moving it ....:/ what are some better ways I could have gotten from point a to point b? Someone said there wasn't enough sequences in the kids room and I thought I shot a whole bunch? Also I had so much trouble finding a good ending :(

Latin Lens

Well that's where getting the obvious sequence comes into play...so you have the kids reading in the circle...how did they get to the dancing part? The obvious transition or get more clever get the nat of someone saying "Okay, everybody its dance time" be outside the room looking in for the scramble to show a clock....something that gets us into brand new b-roll. The sequences weren't true sequences you displayed. You edited a sequence but if you shoot a sequence it'll be more obvious and better. Observe the action and follow it with your camera the edits will be more clear.