Grass Valley/P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOT4U

Hey fellow chiefs,
We are getting ready to change over to Grass Valley Editing systems as well as change over to P2 cameras. Does anyone have any advise what to watch out for or what the advantages may be. I have done quite a bit of research and one thing may stations are having a problem doing, is how to archive everything in the most cost effective yet easy to access method. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Tim

shoot da parrot

Just make sure your server can handle it...I know WFLA had issues with the servers and editors talking at first. Are you at a MG shop?

jajack71

News Edit is a good system it took about a month to get the bugs out of the system. Just make sure whoever keeps the maintence of the systems up does just that. Dumping the bins when the video gets old. The systems can send archived video to the server. Make sure editors put their raw video into a folder so when it has to be played the editor is not looking all over for the video. This is just a matter of labeling folders. The producers needs to give the exact name of the vo an vostos so they can be linked to each story. Ex if the v.o. is House Fire v.o. and the producer put the slug in the (ALL) File under Fire there could be many vo named Fire vo from other shows. In short the system is fast and easy so if you have photogs who are afraid of non--linear editing tell them they don't have to worry it that easy. Hope I help you.

SHOOT4U

Thanks for imput. Yes, MG is the King of me. WSLS is correct. Jimmy, the reason we are going to the system is because corporate says that is what they want to use. I believe it will be the standard company wide.(26 stations?) As far as the system we have heard some stories that are good and bad and wanted to know what to expect. Hey SpaShooter, how is the weather in SC. I started at WBTW. Loved the beach, couldn't pay my bills. Jajack71, should we plan on naming the files as specific as possible. House Fire Pine Street? I am guessing the more specific the less chance of an editor pulling the wrong vo.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Originally posted by SHOOT4U:
Hey SpaShooter, how is the weather in SC. I started at WBTW. Loved the beach, couldn't pay my bills.
Right now, kinda crappy... normally pretty good...

WBTW eh? I actually only get to shoot part of the time, so I'm looking at WBTW, WCBD and a couple Ft. Myers stations as possible full time spots... Suggestions?

jajack71

Shoot4U

Well that's really a producer issue meaning the AM producer my name the video Pine St Fire and the Midday producer may put in the run down Afternoon Fire. Now the late shift editor is Looking for Fire vo the the overnight producer put in the run down. So I would say yes to your question. Tell your photog/editors that when the load the video if the video was on Pine St then name the folder Pine St fire and the producers will follow.

Hey Tim...what's up...I see you guys are going to change over before we do...I have very little expereience with the Grass Valley system...but we do have one of the laptop versions here...it looks pretty straight forward...and I've used it a little for parts of special projects...but haven't edited a full pkg on it yet...One of my biggest problems is making each individual clip...In other non - linear models that I have used, it would put the video in a buffer, and then let you go through and mark points AFTER the video was in the computer...I haven't been able to figure out how to do this with the GVG system...I guess that you have to make one big clip and then make subclips from that...any help would be great...Anyway...Hope this helps...and SpaShooter...we don't have any openings here at BTW right now...but if you will PM me I'll tell you where you can send a tape...and if a job comes open in the near future...it would already be in house...and I can pass it up the chain...

SHOOT4U

SpaShooter, we may have a spot open in the very near future. Just like BTW, go ahead and PM me as it is better to have stuff already in house when something comes open.

Dedline

I hear most operations when they use P2 is they get their video off the cards into a server as soon as possible so they can just clear their cards out as soon as possible. Then edit your video off the server. If you're editing in the field, you can hook up a USB between laptop comp and your cam and it will act like a drive. Or you can pull the card, put it in the laptop and presto it's there. not sure how it'll work with GV, sorry.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Originally posted by SHOOT4U:
SpaShooter, we may have a spot open in the very near future. Just like BTW, go ahead and PM me as it is better to have stuff already in house when something comes open.
Check your box

Status
Not open for further replies.