Goodyear Blimp Nat PKG- your thoughts please

PhotoGino

Nice work

Hey... nice work. Liked how you got the sound through the headphones to get the "in-the-air" feel. Great job matching your edits with ground and cockpit shots.

I was left with a few questions. Why were they flying? Was it a special trip they were flying/a practice flight/etc? Try working in some more factual soundbytes to help... If the captain said "on your left you'll see PNC Park" that would've helped me know what ballpark we were looking at. Also, if you're going to focus on a few characters, it's worth investing a few seconds allowing them to introduce themselves. "I'm Joe Smith and I've been a pilot for 25 years."

Your interviews looked like they were done off the shoulder. I always find it easier when one-man-banding to set the frame up on the sticks and talk to your subject with your shoulder right next to the lens. But whatever you're comforatable with.

Good work though man, keep up the quality storytelling!

Deft Depth

Why were they flying? Was it a special trip they were flying/a practice flight/etc?

They were in town for a promotional thing with a local tire and auto center, which was explained in the intro that aired.

I always find it easier when one-man-banding to set the frame up on the sticks and talk to your subject with your shoulder right next to the lens.
Not in this case. I had limited time, and so did both of the guys on the ground who I interviewed. In the first case the blimp had just taken off and the guy needed to drive a van back to the airport to pick up another group, and in the second case the blimp was coming in for a landing within about a minute. In either case, I didn't want to waste time setting my sticks up, especially since everyone including myself was in a hurry. Was being off the sticks distracting for you as a viewer?

Thanks for the compliments! :)

javary

i would've liked to have seen some people pointing up and looking at the blimp when that guy was talking about how "everywhere we go we attract attention". great job mixing up ground shots with air shots. very nice opener with the ominous blimp noise...

phojorisin

the audio was well blended, considering the loud noise you'd have to deal with in this situation...

i agree with some others that i would've like to see some more reaction shots. People on the ground looking up. But maybe those weren't available during your shoot.

Also, the first interview shot, I thought "why isn't he using his sticks..." But when the second one came up, and you have moved and the blimp was still behind him, I kind of liked that you appeared to be following the blimp in the background, almost like that was the focus and the big talking head was just foreground. Whether that was what you were going for or not, I ended up liking it!

Deft Depth

I kind of liked that you appeared to be following the blimp in the background, almost like that was the focus and the big talking head was just foreground.
Bingo :) Just trying to be creative with framing was all. Also on the first interview shot, I was bent at the knees in order to frame it up right...my quads were burning after about 3 minutes!

NEWSSHOOTER3

Reax?

Didn't live or die with, or without, the reax... Cool piece on blimps. Audio was great. Video told a great story that included a nice perspective, in size.

Deft Depth

I guess in the end, I did have reaction shots and even a sounbite on the ground from someone. But, I was jamming pretty hard to make slot and also needed to keep it at about 1:20...so in the end I felt like reaction was the one thing I could cut without taking away from the rest of what I wanted in the story.

A Step Above Productions

Overall I liked it - and it was fun to watch. I had the same coments. next time you post a nat pack include the anchor intro and tag - this was we get the full picture.

Glad to see WINK is letting you do nat packs.

Lensmith

Very well done.

Your shots showed you were thinking and anticipating the action well to get the wide variety of shots that made this story a step above the norm.

Especially if you were dealing with a day-of deadline pressure.

You were thinking ahead and I thought it was a great mix of shots.

My pacing might have been different in a few parts but...that's just a difference of styles and not something lacking in what you produced.

Very well done.