Good ENG lenses (& Fujinon lens name key)

zac love

List of good & bad ENG lenses? (Also Fujinon lens key?)

1. There are a ton of resources out there for Canon & Nikon SLR lenses, just wondering if there is the same thing for Canon & Fujinon ENG lenses.

---

2. Also, Canon has a method to their madness in naming their lenses. (i.e. you can tell from just the model number if it is for 2/3" or 1/2"; if it has a 2x; if it is HD...)

http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/lens_no.html

Is there a method for the madness of Fujinon lenses?

Whats the difference between a Fujinon A15x8BEVM & A15x8BERD & A15x8BDEVM?

Both the S20x6.4 BERM-SD & A13X6.3BERM-SD start out at the same wide FOV, but one can zoom much farther than the other (20x to 128mm vs 13x to 81.9mm). Does the "A" or "S" mean one is better optically than the other?

---

3. Lastly, does anyone have a list of what "SD" lenses still look pretty good for "HD"?

Last edited:

Necktie Boy

Fuji has the somewhat the same naming like Canon. I know that their printed books have that information. The website should that information, too.

Good to see you posting.

Speed Graphic

For question #1....the simple answer is that no one has bothered to build a database like the stills do for their gear.

zac love

Fuji has the somewhat the same naming like Canon. I know that their printed books have that information. The website should that information, too.

Good to see you posting.
Yeah, its been a while. Felt nice to be back at b-roll, lots of dribble around the net.

I can't find anything on Fuji's site like what Canon has, maybe I'll send them an e-mail.

I did notice while looking around some more the link I had doesn't have everything. I saw some Canon lenses start with "YH" which after a little browsing look like the 1/2" version of the "YJ" 2/3" lenses.

It seems like the "Y" versions are better than the "non-Y", anyone know how much better?

If you hear back from fuji please repost here. I am also in the market for a used lens and going through the same headache of figuring out which glass compares to what. Also I will do the same if I happen to come across it when I sit down in the morning.

Run&Gun

A is 2/3" SD and S is 1/2". An "E" in the suffix(i.e:BERM) means it has a built in extender. I'd have to dig into my Fuji book, but the other letters in the suffix tell you if it has a ratio converter, servo focus, etc. Most broadcast Fuji lenses are BERM which are servo zoom, manual focus and built-in 2x.

So Zac, those lenses don't have the same FOV in the end because one is for a 1/2" camera one is is for a 2/3".

When I have a little more time(and can grab my Fuji book) and I'm not on my iPad about to crash out, I'll post the the key to the Fuji suffix letters.

zac love

Thanks Run&Gun

I also just found this post from "lvlinux" on 8/22/2010

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?215367-Canon-ENG-B4-Lens-on-GH1/page12

With Fujinon, the number at the end of the lens code identifies the brand it was made for, but I don't know all the numbers. I know that 28 is Sony B4 12 pin however (eg A14x9BERM-28), and that 11 is Ikegami. Also, with Fujinon, if there is an "F" in the model, then it is definitely a B3 mount (eg A14x9FERM-11 is Ikegami 12 pin). With Canon, the lens code will end in B3 if it is a B3 mount (J13x9B IRS is B4, and J13x9B3 is B3). Sometimes it will end in B4, but not always.

The first letter specifies the format.
Canon:
J=2/3" (can be B4, B3, or C mount)
H=1/2"
T=1/3"

Fujinon:A=2/3" Bayonet B4/B3
S=1/2" Bayonet
yV=1/3" C mount
DV=1/2" C mount
C=1" C" mount
TH=1/3" Bayonet

The first number in the code specifies the zoom range factor. The second number specifies the widest focal length in mm. So a 10x10 is 10-100mm zoom range. A 14x9 is 9-126mm. And a lens labeled 20x8 is an 8-160mm lens.

In Fujinon codes, "E" means 2X extender. "BERM" means hand zoom rocker with extender. "BMD" means full servo, no zoom rocker (complete remote servo control, even of focus). "BEMD" means full servo without zoom rocker with extender. "BRM" means hand zoom rocker and no extender.

With Canon, it's 3 letters after the model that tell you that stuff: "I" means 2X extender, "K" means no extender, "RS" means zoom rocker and manual focus, "TS" means full servo and no zoom rocker, "IF" means internal focus. So a "Canon J13x9B3 IRS" means it is a J13x9, B3 mount, 2X extender, hand zoom rocker.

"Canon J14ax8.5B3 ITS IF" means it is an internal focus 2/3" B3 mount 8.5-119mm with a 2X extender and full servo, no zoom rocker.
"Canon J13x9B KTS" is a 2/3" B4 mount 9-117mm with no extender, and full servo, no zoom rocker.
"Canon J13x9B KRS" is a 2/3" B4 mount 9-177mm with no extender, and hand zoom rocker.
"Fujinon A14x9BERM-28" is a 2/3" B4 9-126mm 2X extender with zoom rocker.
"Fujinon A18x8.5FERM" is a 2/3" B3 8.5-153mm with 2X extender and zoom rocker.
"Fujinon A18x8.5FEMD" is the same thing, but with full servo and no zoom rocker.
"Fujinon S14x6.4BERM" is a 1/2" 6.4-90mm with 2X extender and hand zoom rocker.

This info should help some people decode this stuff a little better.
So this helps with some thing, but not the difference between:

BEVM
BERD
BDEVM

Run&Gun

The numbers after the suffix is the generation of the lens. I have an HA13x4.5 BERM-M48, but I also have one that is several years newer and it is an M58(and a 22x that is M58, too). For those that have newer Panasonic cameras(like P2 Vari's), the 58 versions work with the cameras to allow CAC in-camera.

BEVM: (I Believe)Servo Zoom, Manual Focus, Ratio Converter
BERM: Servo Zoom, Manual Focus, Extender
BERD: Servo Zoom, Servo Focus, Extender
BDEVM: I believe this is Full Servo and has a ratio converter(to maintain original FOV on a 16:9/4:3 switchable cam. Basically a built in .7x in addition to the 2x). I don't think this option is offered anymore.

I'm not 100% on the BEVM and BDEVM because I'm on the road and don't have one of my older Fuji books with me to consult.

*EDIT* After looking around the net, it looks like BEVM is the way very old lenses were marked, but it's the same as BERM. So BDEVM may just be a very old Full Servo lens with 2x. If I can find out for sure I will make another post.

Current Key:
Prefix:
1st letter:
H: Premier Series HD
Z: Select Series HD
X/Z: Select Series HD
X (and zoom ratio followed by "s"): eXceed Series HD
2nd letter:
A: 2/3"
S: 1/2"
T: 1/3"(zoom ratio is followed by lowercase "s", too)
If it's an A or S by itself(no preceding letter) it's an SD lens.

Suffix:
B: B4 Bayonet mount
E: Extender(either 2x or 2.2x depending on lens)
RM: Manual Focus, Servo Zoom
RD: Servo Focus, Servo Zoom
ZD: Servo Focus, Servo Zoom with Quick Frame(allows you to zoom manually without disengaging the servo switch under the lens)
ZM: Manual Focus, Servo Zoom w/Quick Frame
MD: Remote control over Focus, zoom, and iris.

There are a few other more "exotic" variations out there(servo extender and image stabilization), but these are probably the one's you will see the most. Like I said, the majority are probably BERM variants. But I have seen some NICE Full Servo lenses that were originally insanely priced(well over $30k) go on eBay in the last 8-10 months at incredible prices(less than half of new $).

Last edited:

zac love

That's great Flaca. It doesn't explain everything, like the difference between RM & VM & RD, but still helpful.

How'd you find the link? I can't seem to find w/o your link.