good avid guide?

Tapeape

My station just got avid. As I'm sure everyone here already knows, the manual isn't very good and neither is the in-software documentation. There's lots of stuff that I know it can do but the docs do not tell you how to do it - - example, I know you can use multiple audio effects on a clip, but I can't figure out how to do it - every time I put a new effect on the clip, it wipes the old one.

Any good avid webguides out there?

amp

Playing around with editing on the Avid is how I learned most of my tricks. I don't know of any webguides off the top of my head.

goodfoot

There is a school in San Francisco called BAVC (bay area video coalition). I took some of the classes there, if you can get your employer to send you it is absolutely worth it. They had workbooks that corresponded with each class, you might be able to find them through avid or through BAVC if you can't make it in person.

Not only do these classes teach shortcuts, advanced editing, and color correction but they also help with workflow and file structure. Like the above poster I also just sit and play around with the machine when I have some free time to see what I can come up with.

GOODFOOT

Necktie Boy

You could check your local community college. They may be a class on Avid. Also, you can try the user group on Avid's site...Good stuff can be learned from there.

Tapeape

thanks for the tips guys. I also spent a few hours warring with the system and got stuff figured out.

As far as layering effects, you hold down the "alt" key while dragging your new effect on. But then you get into "stepping into" the effect and working on each one individually.
That works with audio? The only way I'd found to do it is to do a mixdown of the first effect and then slap the second one on the mixdown.

AB

I misread

thanks for the tips guys. I also spent a few hours warring with the system and got stuff figured out.

That works with audio? The only way I'd found to do it is to do a mixdown of the first effect and then slap the second one on the mixdown.
Sorry Tapeape,

I didn't read the fine print about it being an audio edit. Don't know about the audio part, I occasionally us the EQ but that's about it for audio effects.