Gloves

NEWSSHOOTER3

Looking for some practical winter gloves for outside shoots this winter. Any suggestions? What are you using? Links would be great, if ya got 'em.

Wutangmaster

I use mittens....I know its hard to hit the record button and is hard to operate the camera but I hate the cold and have learned to use them. I have tried all types of gloves from water proof to fingers cut out...but the ones that keep my hands warm all the time is mittens.

Then again it depends on where you are shooting at. It can get below 0 where I am at with the wind chill at -27 so I like to have warm hands.

hope that helps:D

Bismarck

You know, and I've been meaning to try this, but I've heard that wetsuit/scubadiving gloves are warm while also being thin.

Shootblue

I bought a pair that are supposed to be wind and water proof in addition to warm....seirus is the name...they are ok, but not as warm as I hoped.

magnetic

Here in Saskatchewan... this is what I find works best. I have use thin fleece gloves inside a flip mitten. The fleece gloves are thin enough to fell the switches and buttons. Sorry these are Canadian links... but you get the idea.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442617636&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302698971
http://hotpawscanada.com/products/29?category=2

The only disadvantage when you're handheld for a long period of time... occasionally the bulk of the glove with the lens strap will restrict circulation on my right hand. So sometimes I have another set of mitts that I switch out with when I'm just setting up or hauling things. But most of the time this works well for me.

Stay warm out there.

Ben Longden

I keep a set of Nomex flying gloves in my kit, along with an insulated beanie.
Okay, so it dosent het as cold here in Oz as it does in most US markets, but a winter night shoot over several hours can chill most to the bone.

While the nomex glove is designed to be fireproof, it also works very well at keeping you warm. it has kid leather palms and fingers, with stitching on the palmar surfaces of the fingers for grip.

I used to use woollen fingerless gloves, but found these just let your fingers get cold, slip when gripping the camera and when wet - stay wet.

You can get the nomex gloves at many disposal stores, and they come in various colours as they are a US Military spec; sage green, desert cream and camera operator black... ;) The cost is about $30 a pair.

When fitting, make sure they are SNUG, like a surgeons glove..

f11vid

PRO user
I use scuba divers' gloves.I believe when I bought mine, they offered three different grades for cold,coldr,coldest.But you lose flexibility as you move up, so I got the lightest.When it gets colder, I slip a rag-wool glove over the divers.When it is REALLY cold, I slip an insulated leather mitten over both.That combo has been good in -25 f.If I'm to be out for a sustained period of time in that crap, I'll slip a chemical warming pack in on the palm side.
I should just knit a pair of gloves from the piles of fur my dogs shed. They're Leonbergers, and they are impervious to the cold.They are laying out in the snow presently.

nautilusvideo

Here in NC I've always used snug fitting scuba gloves. I'm also next to a military base so the nomex flight gloves available at a military outfitter/surplus store work well.

virtualchuck

Two suggestions from the Northern Midwest. I’ve had success with two different types of gloves. The first has been mentioned already, the mittens with the flip top to expose your four fingers. Problem with those is even though they are coated to be moisture resistant, I find they do get moist and that makes them almost unusable for long periods.

The other I have had luck with are my “shooters gloves” Not for the type of shooter your thinking of, but for police/military. They actually have a removable trigger finger (s), the last pair I bought were “perforated” so you can take off as much of the finger as you would like (I think I took off each one, and I used the left finger for focus). They were very similar to motorcycle gloves. You can find them through the military suppliers like U.S. Calvary, www.uscav.com

Chuck

ADOG

This may sound funny, but you may want to try baseball-batting gloves. They are thin and they grip well. I am just and hour and half north of Atlanta, so I know they don’t need to be too warm, just something to keep the wind off the skin.

ABQtog

Try these..

I also use the Serirus gloves and do find them a little lacking but really easy to use the controls on the camera. I find mechanics gloves really work.. they are form fitting, making them easy to use and you get get them insulated to match the conditions in any part of the country. Enjoy..

AlexLucas

My thing is not to worry so much about what works with that magic pair of gloves, but to keep a whole bunch of gloves and boots in the car. Just ask every year for Christmas, and keep a pile.
I have at least two pairs of flip-tops in my car, I have spare boots and socks at all times. Once you get in any way wet, it takes your head out of your job. You're guaranteed to be miserable when you're wet in freezing weather.
Having a set of spares makes you a hundred times happier than running around with wet clothes.

So whatever you get in gloves or whatever, I say get at least two. Three if you can. Remember, if it says, 'waterproof' it also means 'sweat holding.'
Sweaty cold feet are just as bad as standing in a puddle.
Change yo socks.

zac love

So whatever you get in gloves or whatever, I say get at least two. Three if you can. Remember, if it says, 'waterproof' it also means 'sweat holding.'
Sweaty cold feet are just as bad as standing in a puddle.
Change yo socks.
That is why I'm thankful for GoreTex. I have a paris of gortex mittens with finger dividers inside. Warmest things EVER! Also GoreTex oversocks I swear by.

I find the thing I look for the most in winter gloves is a strap around my wrist. There are so many small switches on a camera, that some times you need to use your fingers. I've found it is great to pop off a glove, have it dangle for a couple seconds & then slip it on again.

Without the wrist strap I'd find my hands out in the cold for a couple more seconds as I stuff the glove into a pocket or put it on the ground, and then spending more time retrieving the glove(s).

Every couple years I also buy a batch of the $0.99 knit gloves & throw them into every jacket I own. They're cheap enough to be disposable & you can layer them pretty well. And I find layering to often be the best way to stay warm in the cold.

Corey

Under Armor... I have a pair of the ColdGear gloves from UA and they're perfect for most conditions. Just enough to keep your hands warm and still access even the smallest switches and controls on the camera. When it gets EXTREMELY cold (here in New England) I throw a pair of larger gloves on over them.