Free recce

cameragod

I get it. Paid recce's are a thing of the past but I can't help but getting grumpy being asked to do a free recce "so we can see if we can cut the full day to a half day"

cameragod

Didn't realize it was just a UK, NZ thing.

Recce (filmmaking)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Recce /ˈrɛki/[1] is a military term that has been borrowed by media production in the United Kingdom and New Zealand, derived from "reconnaissance" in the noun sense and "reconnoitre" in the verb sense. It refers to a pre-filming visit to a location to work out its suitability for shooting, including access to necessary facilities and assessment of any potential lighting or sound issues, and is closely related to location scouting.
The term 'recce' is also used in radio and television production. Other examples of later media borrowing from film includes wildtrack which, in film production, was sound recorded without pictures for use in post-production later. In the US the term "site survey" or "tech scout" is commonly used with the same meaning.

Run&Gun

Gotcha. They want you to do a location scout for free.

I tried clicking on the word to look it up and nothing came back.

Separate from what you're talking about, because we usually just say scout or location scout, site survey, etc., I've always heard "recon" as short for reconnaissance. I guess just another one of the little differences between different areas of the world. Kind of like here in the US we usually say gear when referencing our equipment, but other parts of the world, seems like a largely European think, refer to it as 'kit'.

Site survey included if...

For me a simple site survey is included in price of my project if:

It's in my market
Am hired for the job
Is done on my schedule

Otherwise I charge a $200 minimum for up to 2 hours.