Free Apple Training Video - FCP for News and Sports

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member

Joe Torelli
, the man who literally wrote the book on how to edit news and sports on Final Cut Pro, has put together a 1 hour video to complement the book. Being that I’m a visual guy, who doesn’t like to read (that should be obvious by my writing), this is a much faster way to learn the basics.

Torelli, who edited for NBC network news and was a pioneer of Avid editing, helps you grasp Final Cut Pro from the ground up. This is perfect for the editor that presently cuts on Avid or another non-linear, and has never seen Final Cut Pro.
But don’t worry, the expert FCP editor will also pick up a few speed tips as well.

As Torelli puts it in the video, this is not an all-purpose video on FCP, but rather a quick tutorial on how to edit for news - and edit FAST.

You have to register on the Apple site before you can view the clip, but it’s free. (Tell them b-roll.net sent you!)
Check it out at: http://seminars.apple.com/go/newsandsports

Bismarck

Wow. Thanks Kevin. This is actually perfect timing for us. We're about to send our crews out to Denver and they'll be taking a handful of Final Cut systems out with them.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
I was having problems with the streaming versions today (8/13) - not sure if it was a server issue. The ipod video versions download slow, but seem to work.

gwedits

Excellent!

I downloaded both clips today and I actually learned a few things. I have been editing on Final Cut Pro for 3 years, 8 years on Avid and it is always better to have someone "show" you how to do something.

We are visual people after all!

MtnShooter

I finally got #1 to download. But now #2 won't connect. Not very impressive, Apple.

Edit: Clicking on the download button never did get me connected to the second one. So I right clicked on it and did a "save to," and it worked. Both of them took a really long time to download; but looking at them briefly makes me think the wait was worth it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited:
ipod video

This may be a stupid question, but I'm downloading them now, but don't have a video ipod....can you just watch them on your computer so you don't have to stream them online? Can they be burned to a CD/DVD?

gwedits

Do you have Compressor and DVD studio?

If you do, open compressor and drag a quicktime file into it. I think they are only 1o minute clips so use the best quality pre-set settings. Compressor will create the mpeg files you can take into DVD Studio to produce a DVD.

Or, you can start a new project in FCP, import the clips then combine them and send to Compressor that way...

Canonman

If you do, open compressor and drag a quicktime file into it. I think they are only 1o minute clips so use the best quality pre-set settings. Compressor will create the mpeg files you can take into DVD Studio to produce a DVD.

Or, you can start a new project in FCP, import the clips then combine them and send to Compressor that way...
No, they are longer. The first clip is 46 minutes long. I forget what the second clip running time is, but it's longer than 10 minutes.

Still though, even with that length, you should be able to use best quality settings.

cm