First post/Video

NEWSSHOOTER3

Tall Order

Just as a point of order... its far easier to digest individual stories. Nine minutes (TRT) is a tall order and our attention span around here is... about 90 seconds... :)

First story was not bad. I'm guessing that the "hotness" of the video was in resolution, but you got from place to place, shot wise, nicely. There was a decent amount of shot variety, but more tight, tights would make you and this observer happier.

Nice job.

bluffton

Michael,

Overall, you have strong understanding of nats, sequencing and wide medium tight. I would strongly suggest you stop touching your camera. A lot of your shots had little movements I thought were going to reveal something, but you only adjusted your shot. And the shot didn't even change. Let your tripod do the work once you hit record.

As for a rack focus or two, they didn't do anything but show me when you do it the camera jiggles. The rack focus has the ability to be a compelling reveal as long as it truly reveals something. Just changing the focus is just changing the focus if it is not being referenced.

Some of the pacing seemed very slow or out of sync. Work on timing the shot to the reporters track. If you are lacking footage to pick up the pace, here and there, then you need twice as many tight shots as you already get.

Your stuff is great. You are to be commended for throwing yourself out here like this. I think if you work on trusting your sticks, you will be much better.

I can't wait to see more from you.

Cheers.

-Anthony Mirones

Deft Depth

You definately have a strong grip on the essentials. It took a while for me to "get" the proper useage of nat sound, but I can tell by your first piece that you're headed in the right direction.

I noticed in several stories that your edits don't match up perfectly. And though it's just nit-picking, more experienced guys are going to point that kind of stuff out every time. I specifically remember in your first piece you cut from a medium shot of the cop at the door, to your last shot which was wider...there was definately a difference in those two shots and it showed. If you're gonna go for that wide-medium-tight feel, you really have to focus on each shot being an exact replica in terms of movement or placement.

In your dulcimer piece, try working more with the light you had available to you. Was it your intention to leave the blinds open in the hosptial room? I thought the natural light coming in was way too overpowering. Next time try shutting the blinds and using a key light with an umbrella as your main source of light; it will soften everything up. Remember: Control the light, don't let the light control you.

I wasn't really sure what was going on with the last minute or so of your tape. It was kind of goofy and made no sense with all of those random shots and choice of music. If you want to include a montage like that, ditch the music and do your best to include really great sequences that showcase quick edits and great nats.

Overall, you've shown that you work really well with your reporter. I see lots of good communication and team work between the two of you. You're only going to keep improving. Keep shooting! Don't be afraid to try new things. There is a wealth of information on this website.

Keep sending more stuff!

JoeyO38

Hey Michael,

I really liked your stuff. I think you have a great eye and a knack for listening to sound. I think your biggest downfall is your reporter. With every story, I knew within the first few seconds what it was about. The farmer turned singer should not have started off with him singing, that should have been saved for a surprise. It may have worked better if it opened out on the farm with him doing his plowing. Don't be afraid to speak up and tell your reporter she needs to change something with the story. The first line of the woman in the hospital playing the dulcimer should have been later in the package. She told the entire story with the first line. And the swimmer story could have easily gone 20-30 seconds until you revealed that these people are former couch potatoes.

Surprises are fun and you could have had a few. Seeing how good your video is, you should be condfident enough to make suggestions on how the story should be produced. Go into each shoot with a real game plan with the reporter.

My only other suggestion would be to establish where you are. A nice super wide shot to start a piece would great. Hold the nats for a few seconds, then get into track/sot, whatever. If the event is going on inside, you could start with an outside shot of the building and lay the swimming nats underneath or a really wide shot of inside the pool area. Also, when someone is playing music, feel free to establish it longer. Don't be afraid to let the nats go for 3, 5, or even 10 seconds as long as it doesn't get boring. Afterall, that's what the story is about. I'd rather hear the music than the reporter.

Overall I thought it was awesome! Hope that helped!

Joe