Fire Breaker

photoguy603

Heard this on the scanner last night rushed right out but the firefighters were too good and already had the flames out. IT happened about 7:30, pkg ran at 10:30. I felt it kinda of lagged a little bit towards the end as I was running out of time editing. Just looking for some thoughts.

http://bit.ly/12umPjY

Latin Lens

Very well done. For missing out on quite a bit of action you did some great things with this. Good use and gathering of nats. There was an obvious jump cut in there...so my advice is to avoid that at all cost. We shouldn't be seeing that from someone of your skill set unless its some extraordinary circumstances that trump that theory. It did slow down at the back but that's cuz it got a little emotional...which is okay. I'd rather a piece slow down with emotion than rush through it just to keep pace with the intro. You handled it well because its not much of a slow down but it did slow down...make sense? Great effort...excellent spot news job.

photoguy603

Hey man as always thanks for the feedback! I see what you mean about the jump and I'm kicking myself as I watch it now. Thanks for pointing that out can't believe I let that in there!

RyanD

I loved your use of the super close shots for NAT cut-a-ways. Helped move the story along nicely.

At the scene

I liked what you did here. You made something out of nothing but that might be a problem, making something out of nothing. I see the jump cut but really that's not as distracting as the nats in this piece. The nat's seemed forced to me. You were trying to make up for the fact that the fire was out by the time you arrived. It seems that you cut the reporters track to insert nats?? That's the forced part. The pauses in the track didn't seem natural and that's distracting. Also the fire was out, not sure how long but what was the sense of urgency. With the quick cuts mixed with nats one would think that the firefighters were rushing to pull someone from the top floor. I know we all want to showcase our talent and spice up a dull story but we sometimes forget why we are there. To basically document what was actually happening.

Please do not take my criticism personally, this business is so subjective that you can't please everybody. I will say I watch some of the stuff that you post and it clearly shows you have talent in your shooting and editing. Keep up the good work and grab some of the knowledge on this board.

uhappyy

I see what you mean about the jump and I'm kicking myself as I watch it now. Thanks for pointing that out can't believe I let that in there!???