Feed video via internet?

bluffton

you really have to give more information than you sent and mpeg and they can't play it.

What format (codec) are you using, fps, key frame rate, any meta data, 720:480, what?

Then, have you emailed stuff to this station before? Are they using the proper video play?

What system are you using? Vegas is great but what version? All of this will help someone else trouble shoot.

I don't know windows stuff, but someone here may.

Canonman

I have rendered two differant storys now and uploaded to a station and they can not open. Any ideas?

Yesterday I rendered 5 mins of tape as a mpg file and uploaded to station. They could not open it. I then grabbed 1 min of this video and rendered that and uploaded and they still could not open it. In Vegas under meg I have several templetes. I used each one and still no good. Then I did it as a Media Player file and that they could open but it played in a small window.

Any hints?
Yeah, the station doesn't have an MPEG2 decoder on their system. It's not part of Windows, you have to obtain one separately. That's why your Media Player file worked but the MPEG2 didn't.

cm

tvnews

settingsLAYER 2

you really have to give more information than you sent and mpeg and they can't play it.

What format (codec) are you using, fps, key frame rate, any meta data, 720:480, what?

Then, have you emailed stuff to this station before? Are they using the proper video play?

What system are you using? Vegas is great but what version? All of this will help someone else trouble shoot.

I don't know windows stuff, but someone here may.
OK, I just checked Sony Vegas and here is what I used on my first try:

MAINCONCEPT MPEG-2 (*.MPG)

DEFAULT TEMP
AUDIO 224 KBPS 44,100 HZ LAYER 2

VIDEO : 29.97 FPS 720X480

I assumed this should work. The station tells me that take in mpeg-2 files and have no problem opening in WMP.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or they are. No on at the station is very technical on this. And as you can see I am just learning from you guys.

tvnews

tvnews

Yeah, the station doesn't have an MPEG2 decoder on their system. It's not part of Windows, you have to obtain one separately. That's why your Media Player file worked but the MPEG2 didn't.

cm

They are using Windows Media Player v.9 and I am also using the same. Are you saying I already have a plugin or something in my ver 9 that they do not?

Any idea if I can find a pluging and ftp it to them like I am the video clip?

tvnews

Stormgod

I agree with Doug that things are looking bad for stringers, especially ones without real shooting skills. BUT I think the use of cell phone video etc will wear thin after a couple of years...of course by then something new will come out. Yes, its cool to get that breaking news footage via cellphone....but most stations are billing it as either "amateur video" or I caught this" or some sort of other sales branding. Its not professional video. They then have to follow up with good stuff shot by someone who knows whats what. This brings up the SOT issue. So many stringers, especially new ones cant or wont get sound. That is the one item that makes your stuff stand out. As a news bureau chief, I can tell you that if two stringers call in, one got sound and the other didnt, the one with the sound gets the sale. ALSO a word of warning to those shooting in PA. There is a new law about capturing nat sound of police officers while preforming their duties that is causing a crisis here. I hear that at least one photog has been charged. But thats for another thread.

bw3508

StormGod,

Do you have any more info on where we can find the new laws about police nat sounds in Pennsylvania?

Thanks

Stormgod

No I have not yet been able to find anything. I will keep searching though. For the time being, if you shoot in PA, be careful. This is strictly a CYA for the cops. They are tired of showing up on the evening news beating the crap outa someone and this is their attempt at payback. After some discussion in our newsroom, we decided to keep our distance from police as they work, that way they can assume that we cant hear them screw up. Although I doubt they know just how good our shotgun mics can be!

Stormgod

Back on topic, I have been using www.sendbigfiles.com to send video clips back to the station and it works! It took me about 15 minutes to upload a huge video clip and it took the station about 6 minutes to download it. Not a huge timesaver for me on normal days but in snowstorms, thats all I will use.

BNVN

It looks ok but the problem with using a 3rd party site is pretty simple. How many people are going to be working an assignment desk? How many are going to be temps working the desk and have no clue?

The only way to do the FTP is to setup your own system that is pretty much a cookie cutter setup where anyone working at the other end can figure out. What works for one station or network, won't for another.

Stormgod

Doug, using these file transfer sites is as simple as clicking on a link. Even our rookie producers can figure that out pretty quickly. I have been using two of the transfer sites now for a month or so and am pretty happy although I did run into a situtation the other day where WWW.transferbigfiles.com simply would not work. The site was locked up good. Thats why its a good idea to have several of them available. Yes it would be great if we all could afford our own video servers etc but thats not reality....not yet anyways. Soon it will be affordable for the average Joe Sixpack to have his/her own server at the rate that equipment costs are coming down. I have my own but I find its easier to use these other services because IT IS so simple for idiot producers to use.

Stormgod

Ok more info on the new law about recording police goons doing their deeds.. heres a post from another website about it....

Brian Kelly, of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, enjoys making home movies with his video camera. He trained his camera on a local police officer during a traffic stop. According to this Patriot-News story, his camera was seized, he was arrested, and then charged with felony wiretapping, with a potential of up to seven years in prison, for recording another person’s conversation (even on the public street) without their permission (Although “an exception to the wiretapping law allows police to film people….” ).

Why Pennsylvania believes that their law can trump the First Amendment is not clear.

Kelly’s case is due before District Judge Jessica Brewbaker some time in July.

BNVN

Steve, the bottom line with the video is that unless your handing video to a producer on something they know which could be totally different from another station or network, its just a big waste of time. Everything needs to be custom to each person your working with.

But as for storm video, I would not waste your time with it anymore. It will be going done the crapper just like the tour business since everyone is giving their footage away like that idiot Craig in Iowa.

BNVN

Well, just to let you in on a little testing I just did today with HD Feeds to one of the networks. The File size for HD uploads are... FOUR FN TIMES BIGGER. But no new news there really since HD is bigger but a 51 second test was damn near 300 megs for HD upload encoding.

I guess there is now a market for SD vs HD footage on the uploads. You want HD to wow your viewers, well thats going to cost you a lot more then it would for me to upload a SD 720x480 package.