experience needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pictureperfect

When I started in this biz in '93 you were required to have something like a million years of experience to work in this industry. That made it very hard for me to "move on up" at 19 years old working in a 140 something market for 2 1/2 years, so I started shooting stills. I did that for about 5 years when I decided I wanted back into to news. By then the minimum was 3 to 5 years. That I could do, and poof, I was once again shooting video. Now as I read job listings, and watch the experience required level reach all time lows, even in large markets I thought for sure you could not get any lower than 1 year. Then I read this.....

(4/2)
NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER (WCTI) New Bern, NC WCTI is looking for a motivated news photographer. (4/2)
NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER (WCTI) New Bern, NC WCTI is looking for a motivated news photographer. Qualified candidates will have some experience in the broadcast industry, preferably television news. Job responsibilities include video photography, editing, and ENG truck operation, among other duties. Qualified candidates must possess a strong work ethic and the ability to work well under deadline pressure in a constantly-changing environment. Please send tape and resume to Joel Wade, Chief Photographer, WCTI-TV, PO Box 12325, New Bern, NC 28561.
[22957 From: Ingrid Johansen]

"Qualified candidates will have SOME experience in the broadcast industry"

That is just embarrassing, even for a 106.

Special K

It's the way this biz is going because no one wants to be a photog. So if you're any good, you'll be able to move up very quickly (if you desire), leaving any markets above 50 in a situation where they almost have to train their own photogs. At my shop, we've hired 5 new photogs in the past 2 years. They had a grand total of about 2 years of experience. It's the same deal at the other shops in town too.

Here's how bad it's getting--I know of a station in a top 30 market that refuses to fly candidates in for interviews and is paying these people 25-30k. So the result is they end up hiring a bunch of kids with little to no experience to work on the cheap. It's sad, but until we start demanding a fair shake, it's not gonna get better.

S

<slick rick>

Posted by Special K, -- "It's the way this biz is going because no one wants to be a photog. So if you're any good, you'll be able to move up very quickly (if you desire), leaving any markets above 50 in a situation where they almost have to train their own photogs."

I disagree with this statement. I would consider myself a damn good shooter with 6 years experience in a 50+ market. No DWI's, I show up to work on time and have a generally positive attitude. I have been trying... unsuccessful for a couple of years now to get a better paying job in a larger market. In the past three years I have had four interviews in top 20 markets... no offers. I have not been able to "move up quickly".

pictureperfect

Originally posted by <slick rick>:

I disagree with this statement. I would consider myself a damn good shooter with 6 years experience in a 50+ market. No DWI's, I show up to work on time and have a generally positive attitude. I have been trying... unsuccessful for a couple of years now to get a better paying job in a larger market. In the past three years I have had four interviews in top 20 markets... no offers. I have not been able to "move up quickly".
Exactly... your experience is now your curse. Management does'nt want to pay.

I know we have had these discussions before and I am not trying to bring it all up again. But that job description blew me away... and we are all paying for it. I hope we all like where we are, cause it's going to be hard to get anywhere else if you've been doing this too long.....

Menlow

There is always production. I would imagine that they would still appriciate (and pay for) a tallented photog. Not nearly as fun as news, but I suppose you could get lucky and be able to travel a lot.

W

<WHIZkid>

My ND wants to find a shooter with a little experiance, and to also be a "townie"....
Hire experiance for 13,500???
Hire an experianced "townie" in a single station market???
Am I the only one here that sees a fly in this ointment?

Run&Gun

$13,500?!?! You can work at McDonald's and make that with better hours, half the stress, and free food. But then you wouldn't be working in "tee vee" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.