equipment tracking

ADOG

I am wondering how everyone is keeping track of equipment. All of my previous stations assigned gear to photographers and OMBs. My current station assigned gear in the past, but that was when we had 7 photographers and 7 sets of gear. Now we have 3 photographers and 6-8 OMBs for 8 sets of gear. We can’t assign the gear anymore because we don’t have enough to go around. Sometimes we have to borrow cameras from other departments. We tried the sign-out sheet but people would come in and sneak out equipment. They would break it and leave it for the next person. We can’t be here at all times to see who is following the rules. Also, we don’t have the money to get more gear or get surveillance systems. Any ideas?

Land Rover

I hate to say it but if breakage is a problem then the gear needs to be locked up and it has to be checked out through the assignments desk.

At the scene

I hate to say it but it's time to leave. That place sounds dysfunctional and on the verge of closing shop. Start looking now it may have 3 more yrs left but you don't want to be stuck when they have lay offs.

ADOG

I forgot to mention that we tried to have the assignment desk keep track of gear; however, the only assignment editor we have wears other hats and is not always able to monitor the problem. There is no one who is consistently in the newsroom to check out gear. We don't have a place to lock up gear either. Our equipment room was taken from us and we sit our gear in the garage now. We have 8 producers but by the time you train them on what gear is what and how to spot damage, they leave for another job.

We get gear assigned by the desk, with a checklist of what you're taking. You are responsible for bringing it back in one piece/functional, or writing it up. Leaving it broken for the next person is not tolerated. The gear is numbered and color coded, and the numbers correspond to the vehicle it goes with. The cameras are locked up in individual lockers, and all support gear is color coded to the camera. So, red batteries go with red gear, etc. Borrowing from other gear sets requires management approval. I don't think there is a magic solution, other than locking the gear up and supervising the check out process. The only other option is to get enough gear for each person, and make them responsible for its upkeep.

1911A1

For years my mantra has been, "Shared gear is broken or lost gear."

I agree that you need to have the staff sign the equipment out so there's at least some measure of accountability. Otherwise you'll end up with a pile of stuff that mysteriously "got broken".

For now, I have just one "community" camera, tripod, and wireless unit that can be taken out by just about anybody, but in reality just one reporter uses it on the days that she MMJs. That may be changing soon, though, because she may start sharing that gear with another reporter. I'm going to have to institute a sign out policy like we have for our TVUs and laptop editors.

From what you describe there are not actually that many hands involved, but the problem is more along the lines of anybody can touch anything. Is it possible to assign kits to pairs of people? eg. MMJ1 in the morning and 4 at night so that you limit access. You would still have to switch to individual lockers to keep hands off other kits but It could work.

Run&Gun

Not enough gear. Not enough money to buy more gear. Not enough money to get a surveillance/security system to protect the gear. Not even a room to store the gear in.

Get the heck out of Dodge.

When equipment is shared by everyone, it's taken care of by no one.

Tv Shooter

Stop trying to fix it. Stop creating work arounds to get around the work around. When you don't have gear or it's broken, speak up and say "No gear available" or"gear broken, can't shoot the story".

When and only when it affects on air product will anyone be interested in fixing it. Went through this years ago, old broken gear patched together in the field, not enough. Finally, when we missed several big stories due to no one having gear, or the gear was broken, did management decide to properly equip the staff.

If it's not a problem on air, it is not a problem.

svp

3 photogs should get assigned gear and the OMB's should share gear. Leave it up to the OMB's to police themselves. They want to put together tapes to get that next job and you can't put together a good tape if you don't have a microphone or no tripod etc. They'll learn real fast. Don't punish the photogs.