ENG Cage Designs New Camera Security in Vehicles

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
It’s always good to hear about street-wise photographers developing tools to help make our job easier. Who better come up with the innovations, than the folks who use it.

That’s why I was impressed with the information I received from Gregg Hamilton, a shooter based in Houston, TX.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Two veteran broadcast photographers have designed a new security cage that protects video cameras from being stolen or damaged, reduces back strains and protects passengers from a potentially lethal flying camera in the case of a traffic accident.

The ENG Cage bolts securely in to any vehicle, resulting in zero movement of the cage or your camera. Your camera locks into place on the cage’s universal tripod plate which is securely attached to a convenient sliding drawer for easy access. The 100 lb.-capacity sliding drawer was designed to keep your camera at waist-level to minimize lower-back strain common to broadcast photographers.

The ENG Cage is made of welded steel protected by a black powder coat finish that resists rust and scratches. The long-lasting, durable coating is complimented by a multi-layer hook lock system that only is accessible with a key.

The cage measures 15″ by 18″ by 30″ providing a compact yet secure system to protect your valuable equipment.

The ENG Cage’s designers were motivated to find a better solution for video camera security after several colleagues became victims of camera theft. “I’ve known a number of photographers who have had equipment stolen from their vehicle,” said ENG Cage’s Gregg Hamilton. “I’ve also come close to being nailed by a flying camera during an accident so I was looking for a solution to protect both myself and my equipment. ENG Cage’s design meets my needs—it exceeds my needs. The reduced stress and strain on my back is practically a bonus.”

Hamilton said the cage, which weighs about 60 pounds, features handles at the top and transfers easily from one vehicle to another. “I truly believe ENG Cage is the best video camera security cage on the market,” he said.

For additional information, visit ENGcage.com.

“Every News Photographer knows of someone who has had their camera stolen…if not there own. Thieves follow crews until just the right moment and swoop in for the quick mash and grab. And if you have it chained up its just a bolt cutter away from being taken.

With the ENG CAGE it prevents all that and more. This cage really serves several purposes. For Starters and the most obvious is the fact it would take a crook hours to cut thru the steel. And the lock is a multi layered steel lock so forget cutting thru that. Plus I have it mounted to the floor of my unit so it’s not going anywhere. And with the sliding drawer it has several benefits as well. Easy access in and out of the cage, brings camera to waist level so no more bending to grab your camera out, and also provides a work bench.

This Cage not only provides a peace of mind but the ENG CAGE also prevents?your camera from becoming a projectile inside your news unit and keeps it safe from from being damaged by other loose equipment. I was real impressed with the quality of the powder coating as well as the detail of its assembly. The construction is clean, sturdy, light and seems to hold up well with repeated use.

Check out there web site www.engcage.com they even have a video demonstrating how it works.”

Mike Orta
Photographer
Fox Sports Network

More...

satop

This looks very similliar to the cages we had at WPHL in philly, when they did news. I loved those cages! Very easy to use and very strong!

jeremycohn

"I've know a couple of producers that would just fit into that thing... "
Don't forget about reporters too!

It looks great. You'd have to make sure to mount it to the body of the vehicle though..because otherwise it's only as strong as whatever you bolt it to.

phxtvwatcher

The website should have the single purchase price on it somewhere. I would understand that station groups would get a multiple discount but not having the price on it make me want to look elsewhere.

Also as a freelancer I would have some other questions about these before I bought one such as is there a way to mount it where I could pull the bolts if I needed the space in my truck for a major job, or was not planning to work for a while. Also what do the mounting points look like? I would like to get something like for my equipment closet inside my home though I suppose I could re task something like a gun safe or regular safe.

Chicago Dog

Cages like these can be found in station vehicles all over Chicago. Why does Mike Orta seem to think this is a new idea? Am I missing something?

Cages like these can be found in station vehicles all over Chicago. Why does Mike Orta seem to think this is a new idea? Am I missing something?
do yours in have the wire mesh sides up there? This is the first cage design I have seen that is not solid sided. The only reason I mention this is that since I have been here in Texas I have noticed the solid black boxes get a little warmer then I would like if the vehicle is parked in the sun. That said I would think it harder to cut through a solid piece of sheet metal.

ISDV

PRO user
So after visiting the website I can't seem to find the answer to this question: How much is it?
They must have been hearing you. It's now on their website. Normally $850 for a single unit. Introduction offer is now for $800.

Very nice case. Anyone in Europe using such a case? Wonder if they also ship to Europe.

Last edited:

chicagoshootr

I would never mount my camera to plate in that box...too much stress on the camera and not enough shock absorption. I think of the cratered streets this time of year...

I think it would be ok for a camera in a padded porta-brace bag or the like.

canuckcam

FWIW, ask your local PD where they get their installs done - some companies do custom metal work too. Keep some money back in the local economy!

joecam147

Gee, I don't know as someone who has had everything except the camera stolen from a vehicle this product seems a bit inadequite. What happens if you come back to your car and everything else is gone but the camera, you still kinda fu**ed. I've seen cages before but they encompass the entire storage area of a van or suburban and provide protection from theft for all of your equipment not just the camera, it's definitely not a new idea...

Gee, I don't know as someone who has had everything except the camera stolen from a vehicle this product seems a bit inadequite. What happens if you come back to your car and everything else is gone but the camera, you still kinda fu**ed. I've seen cages before but they encompass the entire storage area of a van or suburban and provide protection from theft for all of your equipment not just the camera, it's definitely not a new idea...
When I worked in New England there were a lot of contractors with Rotary type pad lock attachments on the back of their vans. This would be my ideal vehicle to thwart equipment theft. No windows just metal all around and a round padlock housing Welded to the door, that takes a large lock which acts in addition to the normal truck locks. Plus a wire mesh partition separating front from back. I would occasionally see electricians or other similar types with this setup and I would have to think that if you want to keep your stuff put this is the way..... unless they steal the whole truck.

The lock below is an example of what I mean it is usually fitted into a round steel housing that makes it near impossible to cut off with bolt cutters.

http://www.lockpeople.com/brinks/Products2.asp?target=Shielded Padlocks

Buck

Calm down, no one said they invented the wheel. It's a camera cage. We use something similar and they work just fine. None have been broken into. Shock absorption has NOT been an issue either.